Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorry for a repeat Mini question......

Toe 49
Toe 49 Posts: 193
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For Christmas my boy got me a mini BGE (to go with my large and small). I know people have asked about what can be cooked on a mini but up to now I really had no need to read the links. So, the repeat question is what have people done on a mini? Just by the size and closeness of grid to the lump I'm assuming the cooks would be hot and quick. Also, are there different size thermometer? The typical BGE thermometer seems quite big. I plan on having a blast with the mini this summer......will keep it in my jeep 24/7 (except when cooking).

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Toe 49, couple of suggestions. First, take the clip off the thermometer and stick it on the thermometer before sticking it into the EGG. That will get it about an inch off the surface of the EGG and the tip about an inch further up. You can also take a wine cork and drill a hole through it and stick the thermometer through that. It also makes it much more convenient if you want to check the thermometer. Also, it allows me to swap thermometers if I suspect one is giving me a bad temperature (or if I have more EGGs than thermometers). Second, cook most anything you like on that Mini EGG. I cook hamburgers, sausages (brats, Italian or hot-dogs), pork chops, pork tenderloin (put it in a horseshoe fashion). Anything you would cook hi and hot can be cooked on a mini. It also does a great job with fish or chicken at a lower temperature. I use mine anytime I'm cooking for two and sometimes when I am cooking for three. (manger pour trois)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    steak%20and%20shrimp.jpg
    <p />Toe 49,
    Mine rolled around or should I say tipped over in its stand in the floorboard of my truck.
    I really like mine when I cooking steaks and potatoes on my large.
    I fire up the mini for the shrimp, also works great for wings.[p]CWM

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Toe 49,[p]I wonder if anyone has used the Mini as a smoke source in a cold-smoke? Attach to Large via some sort of tubing?[p]I seem to recall a picture of this, but I have no clue as to where.
  • newegg1.jpg
    <p />SSDawg,
    I was just on the visitor profiles and saw it. It is Chuck's picture on his visitor profile. Pretty cool set up. Pigtail

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Pigtail,[p]Yeah, that's the one. I wonder where he is sending the smoke?
  • SSDawg,
    I believe he said that he is sending it into a large to smoke cheese with. Pigtail