Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why do recipes call for instant coffee granules ?

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,688
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
why do recipes call for instant coffee granules and not ground coffee? Are they interchangeable?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no. instant coffee is coffee without water in it any longer (dehydrated). Adding water reconstitutes it.

Coffee grounds are actual beans, ground up. You get coffee from them by steeping them in hot water, but the grounds are waste.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    OH.... What about when you make a seasoning with say black pepper corns, coffee, sugar,etc... should i be using instant coffee granules or ground coffee beans as i have done???
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I take the ground coffee beans and after they have made their sacrifice to the pot, I dry them and use for a smoke flavor for poultry and steak. 2-3 Tablespoons on the fire just before adding the meat.
  • The recipe I use (a rub for pork chops) calls for finely ground coffee, not instant coffee.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you can eat ground coffee, no problem. it's just not coffee, it's the thing you get coffee from. still edible.

one of my favorite vices (i get some every Christmas) is a bag each of chocolate covered espresso beans and coffee beans.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    Richard thanks for the packets via Leroy.
    Would you pass on the drying and storing you do?

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I think the bottom line is that either finely ground coffee beans or instant coffee could be appropriate for a recipe. The difference is that the instant coffee crystals are going to vanish when they meet moisture, imparting coffee flavor with no texture. Finely ground coffee beans are going to impart both flavor and texture. The texture may or may not be appropriate for the dish.
  • Exactly! If you just want coffee flavor, a recipe will either call for freshly brewed strong coffee, or freeze-dried coffee crystals. If you want gritty coffee grounds as a part of the mix, then it will ask for ground up coffee beans.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I've often wondered the same thing but after someone enlightened me somewhat on the subject I concluded that coffee beans are similar to black pepper seeds in that what we are actually seeking is the 'flavor' of pepper but we willingly ingest the ground up pepper seeds to get it. It is my understanding that our body does not digest the pepper particles. Perhaps our bodies would treat coffee bean particles similarly.

Spring "Coffee Eater" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Mine craves the bean!!!

Celtic "Addicted to caffeine" Wolf.
  • Richard Fl
    I just set the paper filter after use in a container by the eggs and let it dry--2-3 days- them dump into an old bowl lined with old newspaper and leave it. When needed take 2-3 Tablespoons and dump on hot flame then the meat.
  • I think that is so coooool.

Might give it a try soon.

Spring "Willing To Try Anything .5-assed" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Richard Fl
    Here is a very fine recipe that uses fresh ground coffee beans.

Pork, Tenderloin, Coffee-Crusted, W/Redeye Barbecue, QBabe's

It sounds like an unlikely combination, but the flavor combination is one of the most FANTASTIC I've ever had. Give it a try!

1-2 Lb. Pork Tenderloin (usually 2 to package)
    **********THE RUB**********
    1 1/4 Tsp. Onion Powder
    4 Tbs Coffee Beans, Freshly Ground
    4 Tsp. Course Salt, Kosher or Sea
    3/4 Tsp. Cumin, Ground
    4 Tsp. Sugar, Dark Brown
    3/4 Tsp. Coriander, Ground
    2 Tsp. Paprika, Sweet
    3/4 Tsp. Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened
    1 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 1/4 Tsp. Garlic Powder
    2 Tbs. Canola Oil
    **********THE SAUCE**********1
    1 Tbs. Butter
    1 Slice Bacon, Finely Chopped
    1/2 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
    1 Clove Garlic, Minced
    3/4 Cup Brewed Stroung Coffee or Expresso
    3/4 Cup Ketchup
    1/4 Cup Worchestershire Sauce
    1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
    2 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
    2 Tbs. Molassas
    2 Tbs. Brown Sugar
    Coarse Salt (Kosher or Sea) and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste.

**********PREPARATION DIRECTIONS**********
    1 In a small bowl, mix together the coffee, salt, brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, garlic and onion powders, cumin, coriander and cocoa.
    2 Sprinkle the rub on the tenderloins. Drizzle the tenderloins with oil and rub it in well. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit for at least 4 hours (overnight is better).
    **********THE SAUCE**********
    1 Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion, and garlic and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.Stir in the coffee, ketchup, Worchestershire sauce, cream, mustard, molassas and brown sugar, let the mixture gradually come to a slow boil.
    2 Reduce the heat slightly and let the sauce simmer until thick and richly flavored, about 10-15 minutes, whisk from time to time.
    3 Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can serve the sauce hot or at room temperature!
    **********COOKING DIRECTIONS***********
    1 Preheat the BGE 300° - 325° F dome
    2 Cook tenderloins direct on a raised grid for about 30-45 minutes, flipping every 10 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 145°F.
    3 Remove from cooker and let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Tonia Lambert AKA "QBabe"

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '03, QBabe

Inspired by a Raichlen recipe, but modified some......
  • Mickey
    that is a keeper... thanks

• what flavor/benefit do you get from throwing the used and dried coffee grinds on the fire? i have never heard of that.
    I drink a ton of coffee and grind it myself, this might be a great way to make the coffee go even further...

thanks
  • Richard Fl
    The benefit is that I do not waste the beans after making coffee. They burn very fast so it is good for a quick sear type of cook.. yesterday did 3 st louis ribs and tossed in a handful of coffee bushes, pieces from costa rica and 4 large Tablespoons full of the dried grounds. I can only say that I like the flavor and you will have to try it to see if it fits your palate. Enjoy!The grounds give off a lot of smoke real quick.
  • i am so eggcited to try this. look for a post w/ pics tomorrow.

you da man
  • Richard Fl
    Here is a recipe that I have been making for many years. 1/2 the $$ of the real stuff almost the same #% proof and great for cake, BBQ sauces and whatever you may wish.

Beverage, Liqueur, Kahlua, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    1.75 Liters Vodka, Cheap--50%-80 Proof/50%-100 Proof
    Simple Syrup
    7 1/2 Cups Sugar
    3 3/4 Cups Water
    3 1/2 Ozs Instant Coffee-Antigua-Mocha-Heavy
    2 Whole Vanilla Beans
    10-15 Whole Coffee Beans, Vanilla Flavor if possible

Procedure:
    1 Mix and heat symple syrup until sugar melts, let the liquid cool until warm to fingertips.
    2 Mix all of the ingredients in a 1 gallon glass jar. Shake daily to keep sugar from settling
    3 Split the vanilla beans, scrape the inner parts into the mixture, then cut the beans into 1 inch lengths and toss in jar.
    4 Jar may be kept in the refrigerator. Shake the jar once a day for 30-45 days.
    5 It is now ready to strain the beans out. Keep chilled.

Recipe Type
    Beverage

Recipe Source
    Source: Richard Howe, 1984/05/25
  • Not sure whether you attended Eggtoberfest in Atlanta this year, but the rub Dr. BBQ used in his pork tenderloin demo had ground coffee.

Just to muddy the waters further, since coffee-smoking and coffee rubs and concentrated coffee flavor (via brewed espresso or dissolved instant coffee granules) have been mentioned upthread, cousin to all of these would be the use of dried tea for smoking poultry in various Pacific Rim cuisines.
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Hey - back to the OP - is 'espresso powder' the same as folgers crystals? I've never seen espresso (or coffee) powder in the grocery store here and I've had a few Christmas goodie recipes call for it.
  • Richard Fl
    Yes, tea is a great flavor. Here is one I enjoy.

Duck, Thighs, Smoked, Lacquered, Chinese, Richard Fl

DUCKTHIGHSSERVES2.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    8 Duck, Thighs
    Marinade:
    1 Cup Soy Sauce
    2 Tbs Dry Sherry
    2 Tbs Turbindo Suigar
    3 Tbs Honey
    2-3 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Sesame Oil
    1 Tsp Chinese 5-Spice Powder
    1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper.
    Smoke: (In A Foil Pouch)
    1 Tbs Celestial Seasonings, Orange Spice, Black Tea
    1 Tbs Oolong Tea
    1 Tbs Green Tea
    Seasoning Salt to Serve
    2-3 Tbs Seczhuan Pepper Corns
    2-3 Tbs Sea Salt

Procedure:
    1 Took Jaccard Meat tenderizer machine and poked each thigh 2-3 times. Mixed marinade together and placed the thighs in a gallon Zip-loc bag and into the refrigerator for 2 days. Rotating every now and then.
    Cook:
    1 Set small BGE up indirect, 250-275°F with some mahogany chips and the aluminum pouch of tea, pierced slightly to allow the smoke out. Basted with the marinade after about an hour. Pulled after 1 1/2 hours.
    To serve:
    1 Take the schezuan peppercorns and salt and grind in a morter & pestle or a spice grinder. Dip pieces of duck in the seasoning salt.
    Side Dish:
    1 Took the left over marinade, and heated to reduce in volume a little, added equal parts honey and horseradish,about 2 Ozs each, some butter and cooked, yellow squash, zuccinni, spanish onion. sliced, chinese eggplant, ( the thin white-purpleish ones), Served over basmati rice

Servings: 4

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/04/13
  • OzarkQ wrote:
    Hey - back to the OP - is 'espresso powder' the same as folgers crystals? I've never seen espresso (or coffee) powder in the grocery store here and I've had a few Christmas goodie recipes call for it.

No, it's not exactly the same. Espresso powder is dehydrated espresso, probably made by spray-drying and grinding brewed espresso. Add water to the powder, you get espresso.

Folger's crystals are freeze-dried coffee. Add water, you get coffee. Similar, but slightly different as espresso is stronger.

A reasonable substitute for espresso powder would be to use double the amount of your Folgers crystals, provided it's getting dissolved. If the recipe is not dissolving the powder and texture is important, you could grind the crystals in a coffee or spice mill.

If you want to buy espresso powder, Medaglia is a popular one.