Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookin Jslot's Butt

Options
Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I remember Jslot posting about doing a butt cook at 275›. I was wondering if someone could give me some guidelines as to the hrs/lb so I could gauge the cooking time.[p]Thanx,
Jethro

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Jethro, I have usually done Butts at 225-275 dome temp, indirect. The variation is because I will stabilize at 275 at the start; by next morning I am usually around 225. I then bump back up to 275 for the rest of the cook. Remember, these are dome temperatures;I would expect the grill temp to be about 20-30 degrees lower. The cooking time averages about 2 hours per pound. [p]CR

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Jethro,
    This might be what your looking for.
    Larry

[ul][li]JSlot's Butt[/ul]
  • Jethro
    Options
    Larry,[p]You're close, in another recent post JSlot discussed the reduced cooking time, I don't know if he related it to the weight of the butt he cooked or not.[p]I am wanting to do a butt again and then throw some of it into my first attempt at SloMo's Brunswick Stew recipe. This yankee boy (Red Sox fan) got to try Brunswick Stew for the first time this fall and I liked it! Though I'll use pulled pork instead of chopped.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    The butts I did that Larry was refering to were two 7 pounders. I pulled them after ~10 hours with the internal temp at 192°. It would have taken them about 12 hours to reach 200° @ 275° dome temp. Let us know how it goes![p]Jim
  • Ric McN
    Options
    I did a butt over the weekend the very same way you do. 8 pound butt too about 14 hours. Turned out very good. I'm gonna do another this weekend.
  • Jethro
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Thanx for the input.[p]Jethro