Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese For You, Raybaby . . .

Options
djm5x9
djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
C-8-thesmoke2.jpg
<p />Raybaby:[p]Clueless about the EGGtoberfest . . .[p]But I do know about smoked cheese . . . On burgers tomorrow and in grits Saturday . . . Five pounds with cherry and ten pounds with Jack Daniels chips.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Man, that looks good! Time and temps?[p]Jim
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]WOW! That's amazing looking! How'd you do it? And, why isn't it melted all over your grill like it would have been if I'd tried it! LOL![p]QBabe

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Can the kids come too? Looks like you have enough for all of us.[p]See you soon. Wow.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    Options
    JSlot:[p]Smoking cheese in a single unit (as opposed to a tandem set-up) is best done on a cold, still night. This particular evening was 35º. With a glass pan of ice between the fire and cheese the fire was extremely small and regulated so the dome did not exceed 100º. Wood chips were added as needed for a slow, four hour smoke.[p]The next day I smoked some more cheese as the outside temperature rose to 60º. This was more of a challenge to have a small fire and smoke that stayed below 100º, but I did it.[p]To the uninitiated, smoke several blocks to start and pull a block off at thirty minute intervals for sampling. Wrap, label, and sample the next day. This will help you assess the level of smoke you like in your finished product.
  • djm5x9
    Options
    QBabe:[p]That reminds me of a homemade quiche contest at the office I was judging . . . There were some really bad quiches and there were three that were very good. The winner, uh, was, store-bought! Lucky for me, it was the Boss’s assistant![p]Smoked cheese on the ceramic cooker = low temperatures (below 100º) and a glass pan of ice between the fire and the cheese.
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Most people use fire bricks from a fireplace outlet, but not you. Nothing but gold bricks good enough for you, eh? LOL
    Looks splendid! My favourite is provolone; Costco usually has the long 4" diameter logs of it for a good price; slice into 1-2" thickness and follow your usual method. Awesome on pizzas, grilled sandwiches etc!
    Qfan[p]

• djm5x9
    Options
    BBQfan1:[p]Smoked mozzarella is great too!