Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White chili recipes... Anyone????

Options
EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a white chili recipe for an upcoming event. I've made a couple different ones, but still haven't found a great one. thanks for the help,
mike

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    This is with chicken:
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation

1/2 pound dried navy beans
    1 large onion -- chopped
    1 stick unsalted butter
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    2 cups half and half
    1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    2 cans (4 oz.) mild whole green chilies -- drained and chopped
    5 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves -- cut in 1/2″ pieces
    1 1/2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
    1/2 cup sour cream

Soak beans in cold water overnight. Drain, pour into a pan and cover with 2 inches of cold water. Simmer beans until tender and drain.

Saute onions in 4 tablespoons of butter until soft.

In a separate heavy pan, melt remaining butter and whisk in flour. Cook whisking constantly, for 3 minutes, without browning. Stir in cooked onion
    and gradually add broth and half and half, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes.

Stir in tobasco, chili powder, cumin, salt and white pepper. Add beans, chilies, chicken, cheese and simmer, stirring for 20 minutes. Stir sour
    cream into chili before serving. Enjoy!

This one is a little different, no Chicken. White Turkey Chili

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation

1 1/2 cups onions -- chopped
    1/2 cup bell peppers -- chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chicken broth
    19 ounces cannellini beans -- drained and rinsed
    2 cups turkey light meat -- skinless
    cooked and cubed
    1/2 cup low-fat monterey jack cheese -- shredded

In a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook onions, bell peppers, and garlic in oil until tender. Add cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in beans and turkey. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 90 minutes uncovered or until slightly thickened.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Here's one Gunnar posted last month

Posted by: Gunnar on 2008/10/23 14:07:52

In Reply to: Re:Pork Tenderloin Chili Blanco posted by Fidel on 2008/10/23 13:57:01
    It's tasty and easy, just some chopping prep. I used pork tenderloin because it was on sale and figured it would be tender on a relatively short cook. It wasn't too spicey, I'll add some additional peppers or green hatch salsa on tonight's leftovers. You can see the original recipe and my changes are in ().

Chili Blanco

1 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves, cubed
    (I used 3 lbs pork tenderloin)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    6 garlic cloves, finely minced
    1 can chicken broth (I used 1 1/2 cans plus & no water)
    (¾ can water-didn’t use)
    1 (7-ounce) can chopped green chilies
    (1 to 2 TBS of minced jalapeño)
    3 (15-ounce) can white great northern beans, rinsed and drained
    (puree 1 can of the beans for the thickener)
    (20 plus round white corn tortilla chips crushed and added during last 15-20 minutes)

green onions, sliced for accompaniment
    shredded Monterey jack cheese for accompaniment
    sour cream

1. In small bowl combine cumin, oregano, cilantro and cayenne. Set aside.
    2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large cooking pot over medium-high heat; add chicken and saute until golden, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
    3. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion has softened, about 3 minutes.
    4. Add spice mixture and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken broth and green chilies. Simmer for 20 minutes.
    5. Stir in beans and simmer for about 30 more minutes.
    6. Ladle chili into bowls and top with cheese and green onions.
    Makes 4 to 6 servings.
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    This one looks good I'll try it this weeekend.
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Thanks, both look good. Something to try this weekend
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Picked this one off a web site a few days ago and haven't tried it yet but, it sure looks good and lobstah prices are w-a-a-a-a-y down.

Lobster Recipes: White Lobster Chili

While this is by no means a traditional chili, the flavorings and the heartiness of this soup are reminiscent of the traditional dish. This preparation of lobster can take the higher level of seasoning of the chili powder because the beans are cooked in the lobster stock so the dish has a strong lobster flavor. Instead of the usual cheese, though, this is great topped with crème Fraiche and fresh chives.

Preparation Time: 1 hour Servings: 4

Ingredients
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 small "chicken" lobsters
    1 onion
    4 stalks celery
    1 carrot
    1 bay leaf
    2 cups great nothern beans
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tsp ground toasted cumin
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
    salt
    cracked pepper

Directions:
    Dice half the onion, celery and carrot into large pieces, place in a 6-quart or larger saucepan or stockpot with the bay leaf, peppercorns and 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil.

Put lobster into pot and boil for 15 minutes, remove the lobsters, strain the broth and set aside.

Fine dice remaining onion, celery and carrot.

Heat the pan and olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion, celery and carrot until translucent, add garlic and sauté a bit more.
    Add water, chili powder, cumin and white beans and cook until beans are done, about 45 minutes.

Remove lobster from shell, rough chop and add to soup.

Finish with cream and cilantro and season with salt and pepper.

From Laura Karwisch

http://www.cooking-lobster.com/laura.html
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    New England meets southwest who knew. what's the reason for the low prices? That doesn't semm to have made it to maryland yet
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    less tourists and there are alot of soft shells, softshells dont travel well so they dont ship them. its 3.99 a pound around here, i bet its cheaper further up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    The prices are depressed to record levels because the demand is down, fuel costs are way out of sight and bait costs are ridiculous. Dock price in Portland ME last week was $2 - $2.50 retail is anywhere from $3.99 to $5. Culls are even less.

Now us po' folk can finally indulge ourselves. It's deja vue all over again. When I was growing up lobstah was cheaper than beef in our little village and believe me, we ate tons of it! I tell my grandchildren I grew up thinking only poor people ate lobstahs. ;)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    The low prices haven’t made it to Houston. Last weekend a 7 oz. tail was $15. I hope to indulge soon.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Here's the one that Kim (vidalia1) made for the chili party at Big'un's ... it was phenomenal!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=535858&catid=1
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one I like.

Chili, Chicken, Beans, White, Richard Fl

Well decided to do a white chili chicken today. Did a 7# Spatchcock recently and had lots of breast meat left over. So with the kind contributions from: Wardster, Lenscamp, Borders & Paula Deen here is what got cooked.

INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 Cups Chicken or Turkey Meat, Cooked, Diced
    2 Cups Great Northern Beans
    1/2 Stick Butter
    3 Cans Chicken Broth, Low Sodium
    2-3 Pieces Bacon, Crispy Cooked, Chopped Small
    2 Cans Green Chili, Diced
    1 Can Ro*Tel, Original
    1 1/2 White Onion, Diced
    1/2 Cup Diced, Red, Yellow & Green Chili Peppers
    1-2 Tbs Cumin, ground
    1 Tsp Crushed Red Peppers, Dried
    2 Tbs Minced Garlic
    2 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    1/2 Cup Salsa, Medium Heat.

Procedure:
    1 Rinsed the northern beans and brought to a boil for 5 minutes. Turned off and let sit for an hour then rinsed again.
    2 Sauted onions, garlic and peppers in butter until onions are opaque. Olive oil will also work.
    3 Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours until the beans are cooked.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/11/18
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    thanks boss, this is a good one.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i hear that.
    i asked mom what was for dinner once, and when she said "lobster" i said "not a-g-a-i-n ...."
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Here is a link to a Black & White Chicken Chili post from the other day. The recipe is towards the bottom. The chili is very flavorful & colorful. I think you will like it.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=535858&catid=1