Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh water Bass on Egg/Need Recipe/

Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't lost my mind but a friend of mine caught two fresh water bass on Saturday. He wants me to cook it on the egg this Tuesday night. Problem is I have never cooked it before. I have cooked salmon on an alder wood plank. I was just wondering how I should season Bass and cook it where it tastes good ;) Please help me if you can.

THANKS

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I've done bass several times and done them both direct and indirect. They have a very sweet delicate flavor.

I gut them leave the skin, scales and head a little oil and couple thick slices of lemon in the body cavity then to a raised grid on a stabilized 300º - 325º fire. The length of time will depend on the weight of the fish. The last one I did was about two pounds and as I recall took about 10 or 12 minutes on a side.

You can steam the fish by using some parchment paper making a pouch and adding some onion, lemon or thinly sliced veggies. close the packet on a raised grid and cook for around 20 to 25 minutes. Again, time depends on the size of the fish.

Sorry I can't help a little more on this I've never thought about the process that much it just works for me.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one the is EGGlicious.

Sea Bass, Hong Kong, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

A little background . . a couple of weeks ago i was at a restaurant and had something called hong kong sea bass. ..menu said: sea bass steamed on bed of lettuce with ginger and scallions and served with broth of sherry and soy sauce. ..frankly it was the best fish i'd eaten in a restaurant in many years ....new i had to duplicate it in the egg. .. so. .. i bought a traditional oriental bamboo steamer (two level with lid). .. .ran some water all over it so it wouldn't get burned in the egg. .. set up my large egg with my wok ring and center fire, about 350 degrees dome temp. ..laid a big bed of fresh baby spinich and a couple of filets of sea bass on each of the steamer trays along with some slivers of fresh ginger and scallions. . .poured about 1 cup of sherry and about 1/3 cup of soy sauce into the cold wok and then set the steamer basket set in the wok over the liquid. ...set the whole thing in the wok ring and closed the dome for about 15 minutes ... . pulled the entire wok set up out after about 15 minutes, careful not to lose the broth in the wok. .. .plated the fish on top of the wilted spinach (oh, btw, use lots of spinach, it really shrinks down). ..and the spooned some of the broth on top ... my wife LOVED it .. .we agreed it may be the best fish i've ever made and ranks right up with some of the best egg food i've ever made. .. .

Recipe Type
    Seafood, Wok

Recipe Source
    Author: Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 2006/04/29
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i havent had bass since i was a kid, personally i would fry it, its great fried. on the egg maybe put the fillets in a casserole dish and add butter, lemons, maybe some dp shaking the tree, keeping it simple and bake, but like i said frying is the way to go. tastes similar to crappie or perch but not as sweet.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    Haven't done bass....yet, but "almost-fried" catfish is pretty good.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.