Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good ham, but not enough smoke flavor

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Christmas ham turned out pretty good, but I did not get enough smoke penetration for what I was after. My set-up was indirect with inverted plate setter, ham in V-rack with drip pan under it. As soon as the egg got up to 250¡, I put in three large pieces of apple wood and put the ham on while the temp slowly rose to 300¡. I had good, dense smoke throughout the cook, yet the flavor of the ham, while good, was not nearly as smokey as I like in a ham. I did let the internal temp get a little too high - 155¡. Next time I will pull it around 145¡. But I don't think that effected the lack of smoke flavor. Should I have used a stronger flavored wood like hickory? Any other ideas or suggestions???

Comments

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Steve-O,
    smoke ring gets established early, first 2 hrs or less. lower the cooking temp during that period and pour the smoke on.
    [/b]
  • Steve-O,
    I think what you have is apple is a mild wood, try hickory or pecan and I think you will be happier with the results.
    Start out at 225º pit temp and run that way for a few hours, there is no need to run up to 300º unless you are trying to rush the cook. Ham has been injected in most cases so smokering should not be a concern (it should run all the way to the center of the ham).
    Heavy smoke is not the key, as a matter of fact that can turn bitter, stronger flavor wood will do the trick.
    Jim

• jwitheld, Most experts agree the chemical reaction responsible for the smoke ring ceases once the meat hits an internal temperature between 120ºF and 140ºF. One common misconception is that when the meat has quit forming the smoke ring, the meat quits absorbing the smoke. As meat temperatures increase, the smoke penetration does lessen, but the exterior of the meat will take on smoke as long as it is exposed to it.[p]IMHO if you want a good smoked taste with the meat, the most critical time for the best flavor is while the meat is still cool and below the 120ºF range. It is at this period of the cook you want your wood flavored fire to have a thin wisp of smoke. A fire that has too much smoke will give the meat a bitter taste, especially if a stronger flavored wood like hickory is used.[p]Beers to you,[p]Juggy D Beerman

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Thanks, Jim. I wondered if that might not be the reason for not getting the flavor I was after.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    Not to argue, but according to the food scientist who has posted here, meat stops absorbing smoke at 137 degrees. (I wish I could remember who it was. He/she was affiliated with PSU or someplace like that?) I forget who it was or if they still post. However, we both agree that most (if not all) of the smoke is going to be absorbed while the meat temperature is below 140, so yes, that is when you need to have plentiful smoke, not later in the cook.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    I feel the biggest misconception is the terms absorbtion or penetration being used for this process. Smokering is a chemcial reaction that effects the color of the meat, but smoke itself is not being asbored into the meat (it is on exterior of the meat). Smoke flavor will continue to be applied to the meat as long as smoke is present in the cook.
    If you have heavy smoke you do run the risk of bitter tasting product (ask anyone that spend a lot of time on an offset), as Juggy says, the smoke should be transparent, little or no color to it.
    Jim