Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Rex a steak

Options
Hawkeye
Hawkeye Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When using the T-Rex method, is the searing portion done with the dome open or closed?

I assume the roast/cook portion is with the dome closed

We like ours Medium opposed to medium rare, any suggestions on time?

the Ribeye is 2" thick

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I sear mine with the dome open, but only because it allows the temps to come down more easily. It works either way.

A 2" thick ribeye I would sear for 90-120 seconds per side, then rest for 15-20 minutes, then it will probably be another 6-7 minutes per side to get it to medium. Cook it by temp. For medium I would pull it at no more than 135-137 or so. When resting it should rise a few more degrees.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Dome open on sear then closed for roast. A ribeye that thick probably 5-7 min per side. Best to check it for temp after three minutes. A steak that size will continue to cook after pulling it off. Pull it at 135 deg and you should be good.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    I sear with the dome open, rest 20 minutes and roast with the dome closed. I cook to temp (125-130 which for me is medium rare) so I hesitate to give you a time.

Here is a link to TNW's site for the TRex method:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    That is a thick steak my friend.Normal procedure would be 90 seconds per side at a nuke temperature at six to seven hundred degrees for that thickness I would go for two minutes per side then remove from grill and let it rest for twenty minutes.Close up the Egg top and bottom vents and wait till the temperature drops to 400 degrees then open the bottom and top vent just a little till the temperature holds at 400.Then put the rib eyes back in till the desired internal temperature is reached.