Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My goose is (gonna be) cooked

Options
Basselope
Basselope Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In response to my daughter's request I am the proud owner of a 12lb. goose that is now residing in my fridge prior to its relocation in my egg on the 25th.[p]Anyway I don't have much a clue as to how to cook this bird. I have heard that they will render a lot of fat over the cooking process. So I'm thinking about 350 indirect, with a good sized drip pan.[p]Anybody got any suggestions? Anyone? Bueller?

Comments

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Basselope , Never have I tackled such a bird but I would assume you could roast the same as a turkey. You're right about the fat. Same goes for duck. When I cook fowl, I've learned from the pros that a mist of apple juice sprayed on the bird every hour or so renders a shiny mahogany finish for presentation. I'm sure much more helpful responses are on their way. Just thought I'd share my two cents. Enjoy! Mac

• Basselope ,
    You know the Test kitchens of America program just ran or re-ran their show on cooking a goose a few weeks back here.. I ran across a recipe written by a woman using that method and she explains it very well.. Maybe because I saw the program but I think you will get it easily enough..[p] I will post the link.. I know the Test Kitchens also post the recipes on their site so you could check there too.. [p]Anyway, this looks good and I would like to try it. It would be easily adapted to the egg.[p]
    Dylan

• Q.N.E. tyme,
    Sorry..

[ul][li]goose link[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Basselope ,
    One of these recipes might work.
    Larry

[ul][li]Goose Recipes[/ul]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Basselope ,
    I would do it just like I do duck. Pierce the skin into the fat in many places so the fat drips into the drip pan. Season the inside and outside - and under the skin - with salt, pepper, and paprika. Keep the egg at 250-260 with the bird in a V-rack over a drip pan. I usually keep my drip pans on a lower shelf so the rack doesn't have to sit in the pan: either a raised grill with firebricks or over a plate sitter. Cook it until the breast reaches 165. It will take 4-5 hours, but the skin will be crispy and most of the fat rendered away.
    Have fun and Happy Holidays.