Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday is National Bologna Day

Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday is National Bologna Day. If you haven't tried smoking bologna on your egg, it is quite possibly the simplist cook you can do.

Get a 2-3 pound chub from your grocery or butcher, score the top, put on your favorite rub and smoke around 250 for about three hours. I cubed mine and simmered in sauce before making a sandwich but you can slice and fry.

bologna1.jpg

bologna2.jpg

bologna4.jpg

bologna6.jpg

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    WOW...That looks really good.
    Larry
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Great! I had 12#'s disappear Sat in Hotlanta.

Pork, Bologna, Richard Fl.

BOLOGNA.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 4 Lbs Bologna, Chub, I Used Smithfield pork/chicken
    Marinade:
    1/3 Cup Italian Salad Dressing
    1/3 Cup Favorite BBQ Sauce
    Add when placing on BGE
    Some Favorite Rub

Procedure:
    1 Score the chub down the sides about 1/4 inch deep and about 6 cuts. Cut the chub into 3 pieces of about equal size. Took a Chinese wooden chop stick and pierced several holes to absorb the marinade. Marinated overnight in the refrigerator.
    2 Next day, took out of the refrigerator and sprinkled some rub & cooked indirect, on vertical axis, at 325°F for about 1 1/2 hours. Added a few apple wood chunks for smoke. Pulled at 170°F. Basted with marinade every 20-30 minutes. Serve with favorite BBQ sauce.
    3 Also , when sliced, makes a great sandwich.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/06/30

2008/07/03
    Swibirun: Ken F over at the BBQN forum has an interesting trick he does with his. "The cheese recipe is using the rotel tomatoe, velveta, and hamburger dip recipe. I cut a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe about 10" long and bevel one end and the I cut a 3/4" wooden dowel long enough to push the plug out of the pvc. I make a vertical hole all the way through the chub bologna about middle ways. Save the plug for latter. Then I make horizontal holes in the center of the chub from each end to the hole in the middle. I then stuff the chub with cheese dip and plug each end using toothpicks to hold the plug in. Spray the bologna with pam for a binder to hold the rub on and the rest is done like the video." I haven't tried it yet, but it does sound wicked good.
    Chris Knoxville TN

2008/08/12--Richard Fl-- Just did 2 chubs/ 4# each and cooked 225F indirect for 1 1/2 hours and pulled at 175F.Used a couple of rubs and the last 1/2 hour, basted with 1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup Raspberry chipotle sauce mixed.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    One of these days we are going to get you to cook AT the fest.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I would suspect that pork butt mike ate a good amount
  • Celtic Wolf
    Was Mike in that pack of small dogs???? :woohoo:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    You talkin bout me an steven :angry: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Come to think of it one of the dogs did have a box of La Bomba on his back.. :woohoo:
  • Hey hey guys lets get one thing right now. I had a choice of Bologna :angry: or Age Beef :P , now which one do you think I picked. NO BOLOGNA HERE BABY :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ahem... here it comes. wait for it...

"if i could smoke my own baloney, i'd never leave the house!"

(yet another in the long string of my very obvious and terribly bad "...never leave the house" jokes)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Buster BBQ,

You just made me very hungry!!! I love Bologna, especially fried bologna but your pictures look fantastic. I am definitely going to try that maybe even this weekend.

I just created another bookmark!