Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en: Kitchen sink gumbo

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like most of you I always seem to have those stray pieces of meat left over that arn't big enough for another meal but to good to feed to Sue (Smoke Shack dog ;) ) Toss'em in a ziplock up in the freezer they go. Time to clear it all out from time to time and with cooler weather an easy gumbo b4 work tonight was called for! :woohoo: Time was limited so used Oak Grove gumbo mix for base. Some Aundui, asorted sausages forom cooks past, froze AZRP shrimp, smoked chicken breast and any other identifiable meats. Uncovered with the hickory poured to it for an hr. Wife made some homemade buttermilk cornbread and a death pepper. Keeps you warm all night long!
09-22-09013-3.jpg

09-22-09016-1.jpg

09-22-09018.jpg

09-22-09020-1.jpg

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    GREAT lookin gumbo JL!..hard to beat a good pot of that.. thinking bout doin a pot of that or some red beans n rice this weekend..did a pot of brunswick last weekend and had egged wings with it..best batch of brunswick I've had yet..couldn' get it thin enough so added bourbon to the BBQ sauce, then wine to the pot.. then later some beer..dunno if it was ever thin enough but tasted da*n good!!..cant find my dang pix!!..grrrr
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey man,

I bet DP's smoke shack was smelling pretty good while the gumbo was going. Nice color on the gumbo, by the way. I'll be getting my stock of andouille here in about a month when we head over to Louisiana for a visit with my sister and her family.

You don't use the lid on the CI pot when you're cooking in the egg, right? I still haven't done anything in mine on the egg yet. I may try some chili or something first.

Thanks,
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    cooler weather ??? it's 77° there :laugh:
    now i know why you eat them..
    that does look good !...think i will do that this weekend.. no eatin donuts at the controls...
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    JL Your cooks are just awsome..what else can I say.........difficult to find anybody on the forum with more cooks than you. Thanks!!!
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    Almost never use the lid on the DO when I'm using it on the egg.. in fact..I think the only thing I do use a lid on is when I'm making some of egret's mac n cheese and that's only for a few minutes...
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    no lid unless you are running out of liquid..
    i browned a chuck direct with hickory and persimmon and then put it in the d/o covered with store bought beef and veg stock, added a large sweet onion, 3 garlic and some red wine s&p.. let it simmer till the meat was easy to pull served it over egg noodles..with the reduced stock.. takes 3-4 hours but needs very little supervision.. set it and forget it peek thru the dmft once in a while to check liguid... the pits said it was amazing.
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    Options
    Vary nice. Wow like looks good! I think I’m going to give that a try! :cheer:
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    With bourbon, wine and beer, you're lucky you can find your lower lip! :woohoo:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You eat WAY too good.

Spring "Hamburger Helper" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    from the photo it looks like the oven is raised up a bit off the plate setter - what spacer do you use

thanks

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I will bet that is a camp dutch oven. It comes with three long (2") feet to accommodate the coals that are normal under it.

Though I usually use the eff feet under mine.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Awesome lookin' eats! And lots of different types of meat. Uh..why isn't my buddy Jake in any shots? :blink:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments. As bill hinted at I'm running the plant control board tonight and they are on us for internet usage limiting my post from work.
    I use the lid on the D.O to control the amount of smoke flavor. In this case I left it off 90% of the time. On thick rice dishes and such I might leave it on just cracked 1/8 or so. The pot is setting on three of my famouse smoke rocks. I always elevate any container be it a cast D.O or my Le Creuset on the platesetter. Really cuts down on the sticking by creating just a little air space. All the smke rocks are is just 1/2 doller size simi flat rocks that create just alittle air space.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    JL,

I didn't read all the replies cause my satellite is frozen up (literally) and the forum is running really slow. Did you make the roux on the egg too?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Slept till 14:15 this afternoon so didn't have much time b4 work so just threw this togeather with the Oak Grove brand gumbo starter mix. When I do my duck gumbo in a few months everything is from scratch on the Egg but didn't have time for a lot of prep with this. Wife threw most of it togeather and had the Egg started when she kicked me in the side to get up!! :P Got to love a women like that!! ;)
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    haha..yeah..dunno how it happened that way..just each time I got ready to add something jus kinda grabbed what was nearest! :woohoo:
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    JLOCKHART29 wrote:
    [quote Really cuts down on the sticking by creating just a little air space. All the smke rocks are is just 1/2 doller size simi flat rocks that create just alittle air space.[/quote]

Yeah..but do they have magical powers!?! :P
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    JL,

I want to try scratch roux on the egg but I think it would be tough to keep the heat stable. The kick in the ribs thing is just her way of showing how much she loves you. Least that is what mine says :P

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I've been schooled on the proper DO methods now--thanks! The chuck roast sounds like a really nice cook to do. I'll email you for the setup/temp/cook details.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    J,
    You can't go wrong with a cook like that!
    Ross