Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Frozen Shut and No Weber Cubes

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I forgot to put wax paper in between the dome and the base, and some rain and overnight cold temperatures seems to have frozen my egg shut for the first time. There is plenty of lump in the egg, but I light with MAPP gas and have no weber cubes, so I can't do the easy fix it rememdy of lighting a cube from the bottom. Other than waiting until the spring thaw, is there anythink I can do to unfreeze my gaskets, such as with newspaper?. Or is it off to the store to get Weber cubes for this type of emergency situation?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Aron,[p]You can always shove the wife's hair dryer down the chimney. The risk is always worth the reward! LOL![p]Jim
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Aron, what about wadding-up some newspaper? Make sure that the top of the dome is without daisy=wheel or rain cap.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I did this a couple weeks ago and it worked. The only downside was cleaning the newspaper ash off of the cooking grate (I dropped mine in through the top for quicker heating). Good luck![p]Jim
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Aron,
    Just stick your MAPP Torch in the bottom vent and get the flame as closer to the bottom of the lump as possible. The concept is the same as using a Weber cube.
    BTW, you should keep some Webber Cubes on hand … just in case. They do not cost much and do not go bad.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]