Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and foil: direct or indirect

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a lot of success cooking my brisket for 6-8 hours indirect until 165 and then putting in foil while raising the dome ocxoektemp to about 300 while getting meat to 205.

The foil portion of the cook takes 1.5-2 hours direct and this is how I have always done it.

Does anyone have any idea how much longer this might take indirect and if it might be better?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I cooked briskets indirect all the way to the end for years trying to achieve good results. They were always disappointing at best and throwaway's at worst. I finally tried foiling it and now produce excellent, very predictible results.

I cook indirect well into the 'plateau' period of 160 to 165 range, foil tightly for 1 to 2 hours (depending on size), then open the foil for the remainder of the cook. The juices that came out during the foiling period remain with the brisket and become more concentrated over the last few hours. I usually spoon some of the liquid over the brisket when I first open the foil.

I've done it this way with whole briskets and flats with equal success. And I'm frequently told that mine is the best brisket they've ever eaten.

Oh, I might add that I inject the brisket at least an hour before going on the Egg. That makes a big difference in flavor deep inside the meat.

Try it, I think you will like it.

Spring "Brisket Makes Perfect" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    Options
    What do you use as a mix for the injection.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I use this same mix for Butts and Briskets.

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

2 tablespoons luke warm water
    2 tablespoons Kosher salt (dissolve in water before adding other ingredients)
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon Pure Cane syrup (Steen's)
    1 tablespoon Maple syrup
    1 tablespoon Cane vinegar
    1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 tablespoon White Vinegar
    1/2 cup White grape juice
    1 tablespoon Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade
    1 tablespoon Kikkoman Soy Sauce
    1 tablespoon Hershey's chocolate syrup
    1/4 cup Barbeque Sauce (optional)
    1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (optional)

Mix thoroughly. Inject in numerous locations being careful when pulling out the injector needle.

Use your favorite rub on the outside.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I am with the Chicken. I never foiled my briskets on the egg. They were good, but just not tender enough. The last briskets I did I followed the advice of a fellow competitor an foiled them after they broke the plateau (168-170).

I let them go to 200 and put them in a cooler. When I opened the foil I had the juiciest brisket I ever cooked. For a competition they were to tender, but that is easily fixed.

My next brisket I will inject with the same stuff I marinate the brisket in. My marinade (Secret for now) is not as fancy as the Chickens, but it is good..