Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thermometers

Options
kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I luv my egg, i distrust my dome therometer. Could I get advice on what dome therometer I would have better luck with? Also, advice on a meat probe...from what i understand, don't go with polder type probes? I would appreciate, brand names and model #'s. The termo will have to weather Michigan snow.

Comments

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    kim,[p]Buy cheap, calibrate often and discard frequently..I don't believe any hold up well. The remote ones with multiple probes are fun, but then boys and our toys.....NE

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    kim, I would recommend thet you calibrate your dome thermometer to see if your distrust is warranted. I used to do mine fairly often but over time I found it to be accurate. Now I only calibrate if it seems that I need adjust the dampers differently from what I normally use for a given dome temp.
  • Joel Ferman
    Options
    kim,
    I have the primo temp gauge with the very short probe. I have NO complaints, and feel it is far superior to the BGE thermometer. No more incorrect readings because the probe was stuck in the food!
    -Joel

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    kim,[p]Who doesn't like the Polder type probes?? They are the work-horse of thermometers. I have a dozen - 2 polder types, 3 wireless types, Thermapen, several digital "instant" reads, and a couple oven styles. If I had to only have one and that was all - it would be the Polder type with the long cable. I use it for most cooking and it has served me well. The Thermapen would be #2 because it's best for steaks and grilled foods.[p]Tim
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    kim,[p]Where did you pick up that bit of advice about not using a Polder?? In my mind, the single best accessory I own. I am a big fan of measuring your temps at the level of the meat...NOT at the dome...where the differntial may differ every time you cook.[p]You only need one.....use it for measuring your cooker temps....when the meat is near done, start checking the meat with the same unit.[p]Now, they are only rated up to 392º, so don't try measuring temps when you are searing meats. But for everything else..the best there is![p]Stogie
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    kim,
    best accuracy and broadest range, thermocouple!
    I have a hand held with an oven probe that has a thin flat wire so it dosent mess with the seal so bad at the dome.
    [/b]
  • kim
    kim Posts: 63
    Options
    kim,
    My comment regarding polders was formed after reading the threads posted 12/10 on remote sensors. Obviously I have
    misunderstood. I will check into a new polder today..thanx