Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Lump Coal in the Austin TX area

Options
Awesomegg
Awesomegg Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have finely got my Green Egg over a month ago so I am new to big green egg cooking. I am looking to purchase Maple lump coal in the Austin area to cook a 22 pound Turkey. The closest I find in Montana and they want 100 dollar just in shipping.

Does anyone know of any place in the Austin or some place that sells quality Maple Lump Coal at a cheaper shipping rate?

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    Never seen it. Any reason you're stuck on it? If you're looking for quality lump, you can get Ozark Oak at BBQ Outfitters on 620, just west of RR2222. It's all I use, and what many of us Austinites use. The BBQO team is a good group too.
  • Awesomegg
    Options
    Small world! I purchase Ozark Oak at the 620 BBQ outfitters as well. I have never smoked a large turkey on the BGE and I was afraid it may be overpowered by Smokey flavor I do want a smokey flavor but I don't want it over powered. Do you think the Ozark Oak is safe enough to smoke a Turkey?
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Ozark Oak has less of a smoky flavor than Royal Oak--to me, anyway. That's all I buy nowadays, and Dave over there at Outfitters asked me if I was eating this stuff, because of how much I go through!

Good luck with the turkey!
  • Awesomegg
    Options
    Thanks. :side:
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Absolutely... just make sure you let the lump burn clear before putting the bird on. I have done a turkey with Ozark and Pecan chunks. If you want to make sure you don't get any of the Ozark smoke, I guess you could burn a couple full loads of lump for short high temp cooks, save the lump and then burn only previously burned lump for the bird. I gotta be honest though, I have never noticed that OO has much of a smoky flavor as long as you let it burn clean before adding your meat. Good luck!

Awesomegg wrote:
    Small world! I purchase Ozark Oak at the 620 BBQ outfitters as well. I have never smoked a large turkey on the BGE and I was afraid it may be overpowered by Smokey flavor I do want a smokey flavor but I don't want it over powered. Do you think the Ozark Oak is safe enough to smoke a Turkey?
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Awesomegg
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I will make sure to put in on when it burns clear.