Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of hot tubbing a tri tip

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,916
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow night's supper will be a 2.5# trimmed tri tip. It's one I bought from a local butcher shop where I've had good luck. The meat appears to be nicely marbled. I was thinking of hot tubbing it. Any comments for or against being it is a tri tip?

BTW the butcher told me he has a customer who buys them regularly untrimmed and then grills them burning the fat to a crisp and then cutting off the waste. He says it imparts a better flavor. I'm not sure I want to try that next time either!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I've done it on tri-tip and it works great. I use my brining bucket to hold the water and I did have to change it 2 or 3 times during the hour. That much meat is a real heat sink.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    Great! Then that's the way it will be. For just the two of us a 2.5# chunk-o-cow means I have to plan ahead for meals using the leftovers. My thought is to slice the remains thin and then mix with au jus and freeze for a future couple meals of French dip. We just love that meal with a fresh loaf of French bread! I'm afraid a conventional egging vs the hot tub might overcook the meat since it needs to be rare enough to withstand a second warming though it will be swimming in a Food Saver bag.