Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kennyg's Chili on the Egg!!!

Options
fiver29
fiver29 Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every fall I make Kennyg's chili recipe. I've been making it for at least 5 or 6 years now. I do it on a nice fall day and its usually within a few weeks of Eggtoberfest. I haven't made it to one yet. But I will someday. Because I promised Ken years ago I would go. I plan on posting this each year when I make it. Because it reminds of a great egger and friend. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I do.

Cheers!

For smaller single and double batches, I use deep CorningWare casserole dishes like the 2 qt. and 1 gallon in the pic. Wrapping the bottom and sides with foil makes cleanup easy. The other piece is a Hasty-Bake "basting pan" that holds 2 gallons for the bigger cooks.

Plenty of great chili recipes are available here on this forum and all over the net. Here is my basic recipe to get you started:

Per batch - 6 light or 2-3 hearty servings. This batch recipe easily doubles, triples and quadruples.

3 strips of thick bacon
1 TBS. olive oil
1 lb. of your favorite meat. course ground beef, sausage, whatever, and any combination.
1 28 oz. can seasoned diced tomatos
2 14 oz. cans chili beans, 1 each of red and black in hot or mild. whatever you like.
1 medium sweet onion chopped
1 small spanish onion chopped
2 cloves garlic run through a garlic press
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 TBS. your favorite BBQ rub
1 or more dried chilis, I use Anchos for flavor and japones for heat.
1+ tsp. your favorite hot sauce
1 bottle dark beer, drink half and use the rest in the recipe
salt and pepper to taste
optionally, thinly sliced green onion, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving garnish.

Fire up your Egg for a stable 250-275*
soak half a handful each of apple and mesquite chips in water. Or, whatever chips you like.

Open all the cans and dump the beans and tomatos into the correct sized chili pot.

In a non-stick skillet, fry the bacon extra crisp and set aside. Now use the drippings to brown 1/2 of the meat, 1/2 of the onions and all of the garlic. Season with salt and pepper during the browning. Remove when all red is gone from the meat and add this to the chili pot. Crumble the bacon and add as well.

Add olive oil to the skillet and brown the remaining meat and onions. Take it a step further this time and let the mix begin to burn a bit. (for texture)

Add this and all remaining ingredients except garnish items to chili pot and stir well. Float your dried peppers in the pot and let them do their magic during the long cook.

Smoke on the Egg uncovered for about 2 hours (single batch) and shoot for a finish temp of 190* Add roughly 30 minutes cooking time for each additional batch. Stir again every 20-30 minutes and sample to see if additional seasoning is required.

Enjoy,

K~G
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    My wife loves Kennyg's Chili because he uses cinnamon in it.

The woman asks all the time why I don't add some to my Manly Chili and I keep telling her it wouldn't work.

Ken's And Egrets chili and may be the only two I would ever serve guests.

Kenny was a great guy. Thanks for reminding us of him with your tribute cook.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    We sure miss Kenny...It will be 2 years since we lost him the Sunday after Eggtoberfest.Here is a couple of pictures of Ken.
    Larry
    b261.jpg
    c736.jpg

a96e.jpg
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    All this took place before I found this forum. How nice it is that you all remember a fellow-egger so fondly!!
  • YB
    Options
    He was really a great person and we are so thankful he spent a few days with us and Julie & Steve Aplegate here in Augusta before Eggtoberfest 2006.Ken made many friends on thr forum.

Larry
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I think I may his recipe at eggtoberfest when I do make it down there. I know I'm not going this year. Maybe I'll make it a priority to go next year.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• YB
    Options
    We look forward to you coming and cooking Ken's chili.Kenny came to our house a couple of times and we came to Cleavland to see him a few times.
    Larry
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i do miss kenny... only met him once and never remembered seeing a post of his... see when we went to our first eggtoberfest i had just started posting around here and did not know very many people.. well we came back and i remember saying i don't remember who all i met.. but soon after that there was the posting about his passing.. well i showed my wife the post and she said "oh my god he was such a nice guy" turns out while i was running around like a kid in a candy store she met kenny and talked "a good while" with him... she told me he was one of the nicest people she had met the whole weekend.. he will be missed :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb