Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too much pulled-pork??

Options
Skids
Skids Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In author John Steinbeck’s novella Of Mice and Men, he wrote, "The best-laid plans of mice and men, often go awry." Well, there I was, planning for 12 folks to enjoy my first ever pulled-pork. I wrote earlier and read many threads regarding pulled-pork. One of you fine folks was nice enough to provide me a “serving calculator” so I would have the right amount…not too much, not too little. Given the numbers, I went out and purchased 2 pork shoulders that totaled just less than 15 pounds. Now there are some folks (myself being one) that will eat 2 servings so I knew I was safe with the 15’ish pounds of pork shoulder. I just learned that some folks had to cancel and the number is down to seven. I froze the two shoulders about a week ago when I bought them. I started to thaw them out yesterday when I thought we would be 12 but now that we will be 7 folks total for this weekend, I’m looking for some advise. I’ve always been told you can’t refreeze meat…or anything for that matter. If I cook both shoulders, will I have too much and if so, how should I store the left overs?
Thanks.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but I am of the opinion, that once it is cooked there is a clean slate and you can freeze it again. I reularly thaw meat, cook it, then freeze a portion for future MRE's.
    I might not be doing right, but Ive not gotten sick from it.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Don't know about re-freezing the whole shoulders, but you can never have too much pulled pork because it freezes great so go ahead and cook it all. For freezing, I put it in small bags of varying sizes for all sorts of occasions. Sandwiches, BBQ beans, pizza topping, ABTs, etc...

Throw a little coca-cola in with it when re-heating and you'd never know it wasn't fresh off the egg.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I'm with Midnight Smoker, cook it all. If your crowd is going to be around for more than one meal, I don't think your freezer will ever see any of it. If you do have some left, refrigerate what will be used within a couple days and freeze the rest in conveniently sized portions.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I always cook too much.
    Cook it all and freeze the unused portion.
    Now that I think of it, there is a lot of info on old threads about how best to do this.

Try searching the archives for "reheating pulled pork"

I just cooked a couple butts about a month ago and froze half of it. Last week I thawed it out and finished it off over the course of the week.
  • Fire Walker
    Options
    One butt cooks like two the egg is stoked, cook them both it freezes well and with alittle coke it reheats all most better than the first serving. You can never have to much pulled.

FireWalker
  • Wyldwood
    Options
    Go ahead and smoke it. When it's done, put it in freezer bags and freeze it. Reheat it with about 1/3 to 1/2 can Coke, not diet or another brand.Add sauce to your liking. When I am cooking for a large group (up to 100) I can't cook it all at once so I have to cook in managable batches and reheated Egg'd pork is still better than most people have ever had.
  • Russell Harris
    Options
    Another answer is to give it away. I have found that people can't smoke butts, really can't buy good butt, so I have several elder couples that I supply a bag to. They are thrilled to get it, but the real thrill is being able to share good BBQ with people that don't have access to it the way we do. :)
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    It freezes just fine. I usually throw in a jar of salsa, some cheese and make chimis. Then I freeze those.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    You can have too much pulled pork??? :woohoo:

We make enchiladas, ABTs, and all sorts of stuff with extra. It does freeze really well.
  • Davie Ninefingers
    Options
    When you have too much of ANYTHING left over, vacuum pack it with a home style vacuum packer, then freeze it.
    This works great for us. We use the Food Saver make.

Good luck!

Davie Ninefingers
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    didnt read all your other answers, but there is no such thing as 'too much' pulled pork. there are just too many recipes you can use it in and the leftovers are fantastic. For freezing, I vacuum pac mine in approx. 1/2-1 lb amounts, label it w/PP and date and freeze.. thaw slowly, reheat and/or add to other dishes and enjoy! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I think the coke thing is kinda kooky. ;):)
    But, there must be something to it since so many of us do it.
    I speant a holiday in Up State New York one year where the host served a Coca Cola cake. When I inquired that I had never heard of such a thing, I was told "I can't believe that, I figured you folks in Atlanta would use it in everything". Well I have been in Atlanta since age 4 (38 years) and have never used coke in anything but in a glass with ice (& occassionaly other liquids for accompaniment). Nor have any of my immediate friends or family, nor distant relatives also in the south. Have never even heard of it until a couple of years ago.
    Can you taste the coke in the "Q"? :whistle:
  • Wyldwood
    Options
    I can't believe how much I give away. At work, they invent reasons to have a pot luck so I have to bring pulled pork. I'm a very good cook, but all they want is pulled pork, not ribs, or brisket or anything else.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Nope..used this method just this past weekend..my son's wedding was saturday so had a lot of family in..I had made a few butts last weekend and both vac packed and frozen some..nuttin like a crockpot and a lil coke original for reheating some PP! :silly: