Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

et-73 problems

Options
opod
opod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
this is a wierd problem i haven't seen yet on the forum so it's probably something i'm doing wrong but here goes:
I have at ET 73 thermometer i purchased recently. It seems to work OK at least initially. I recently cooked about 20 lbs of pulled pork and the thermometer went up to about 195 internal on the pork then started dropping, all the way down to about 185. Didn't open the top much except to reposition the probe in the meat. temp of egg on the EGG thermometer never dropped below 225. meat seemed tender so i took it off, pulled it, no problem. later, tested both grid and meat probes in boiling water, measured 212 F.
Next cook was another 20 lb pulled pork 2 days ago. 1st butt did fine, took it off at 200. placed probe in second butt and read 195. got up to 197, then dropped steadily down to 181. the grid probe measured 230 which correlated well with the EGG thermometer and this never dropped.
What the heck is going on here? Did not have another reliable thermometer to measure meat temp and didn't think to turn it off/on to reset it.
Anybody seen this before? It's starting to drive me batty.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Mine worked fine for the first couple dozen cooks, then started acting very strange with varying readings, etc. So much that I dont trust it at all anymore. It may be a quick/easy fix, but I dont have the patience.

If anyone wants it, let me know. Just pay the shipping or I can give it to you at Eggtoberfest.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive watched meat temps rise and fall during the cook, it really does happen on most low and slows. once the meat gets up to 185 i would raise the pit temp, there really is no reason to continue at 225 cooking temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PorkBone
    Options
    I'll take it if you don't want it. I can pay for shipping through Paypal if you have an account.

Roger
  • What did you replace the ET-73 with, and how does it compare.