Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Amen to enlarging the hole. I have been wanting to grind that baby larger and sticking a larger door on there LOL
    I dont own a medium... is the door plates different sizes? hmmm maybe if I get mad enough :p[p]I have no idea why our small wont heat up all the way, and it taked much too long to even get it up to 400.[p]I keep my eggs clean, and from time to time I will even go in and vacuum around the outside of the firebox just to ensure it doesnt build up there... as it does over time.[p]I have the metal grate, and I have filled the small firebox up about 3/4 full. Even made sure I used large peices of lump for best airflow. I have had the fire burning nicely, with flames 2-3 inches.... and the dome not read over 400! The thermometer is calibrated ok.[p]This has us scratching our heads. Our large egg doesnt act like this at all LOL[p]I also look forward to the spring assist hinge... I would like a bit more access to the grill.

• Boccie
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I am the one that usually sets the egg up. I have tried using only large chunks, a regular mix of sizes, all new fresh lump, mixing used with new, lighting with MAPP in 4 or 5 locations rather than just 2 or 3.... nothing will get that darned dome temp up.[p]We will try the full fire box approach... but even that seems like it would be unecessary, I can peg the thermometer on the large with a small pile of lump - one would think the small is well... smaller! so it should heat up even better :p
  • Boccie
    Options
    nikkig,[p]"although he has never had real red beans and rice to compare them to"[p]What?!? did we use artificial beans or something? LOL[p]RhumAndJerk's recipe was a good one. But if you find a "real" red beans and rice recipe we'll try that too LOL
  • Boccie
    Options
    It seems loading the firebox to max capacity helps this problem out some. I have had the small burning for over 1/2 hour and only have 400 deg on it. So we'll do some more cooking with the full lump load.[p]I will add I think its strange the small needs a full load, and the large can max out on temp with a small load. You would think the small would have no issue at all climbing right up there. Just one of those things that make you go "hmmm?" :-)
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. Tonight I did steaks, and was very pleased. I filled the firebox up FULL, and 20 minutes later the temp was up to 600. Like hubby says, I would think since it is smaller, a small load of lump would do. On the large, we get turbo temps without filling it up all the way. Guess things don't quite work that way. [p]~nikki

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    nikkig,
    the only reason I suggested the full box is there were times before that I was finding a lesser load had already piqued and was on the downside temp wise. Well if nothing else since you saw 600 tonight you may soon be a believer - afterall there are a lot of us out here who believe in the capabilities of the small when it comes to nuke temps!