Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have Large Egg, Add A Small or Mini?...

Options
rabeb25
rabeb25 Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I currently have a large egg, and love it to death. Lately a lot of people want me to bring it places to do cooks (i.e at the cabin, parents house, friends etc)The large isn't exactly the most portable of things. Plus its just the wife and myself at home and to fire up the large egg to do a cook for us (2 steaks, beercan chicken, chicken breasts) seems a bit overkill. I also do a lot of cooks that are brisket and ribs or brisket and pulled pork, and it would be way easier to have another vessel. I have been looking online at the smalls and minis, but no one has any local to physically see to get an idea of size. SO, all the people who are in the know I will give you my criteria, and it would be awesome if you could steer me in the right direction!

-Portability
-ability to cook 4 steaks
-ability to cook a 500F chicken, or beercan (I use about 3.5 pounders)
-ability to cook a rack of ribs
-ability to cook a 7ish lb flat, or pork butt

Priorities are in order from highest to lowest.

Thanks
Bryan

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I had the same problem a few years back with just 2 of us most of the time.
    I went for the small--Can cook 4 16 ozs steaks at 450F+, 1 spatchcocked 3-4 # bird, nice size meatloaf. small 7-8 # brisket.

Don't do ribs on small because when I cook some, it is usually 3 racks and use the large for that project.

I do not take the small out of the house for camping or friends, but it is not that heavy if you have a place for it to ride with you.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Brian,I just got a mini and only have 2 cooks on it so far.I've had my small for 4 yrs now,and would definitely recommend the small for the amount of food that you want to cook.The mini only has a 9" grid,so those four steaks would need to be tiny :lol: The other plus for the small is the ability to cook indirect with a platesetter.BTW,I can carry my small by myself,without taking the inards out ;) I don't even remove the lump B)
  • emilluca
    Options
    There is two of us and I got a deal on a mini to go with the LBGE we own and the mini is used 65% of the time over the large. The mini makes enough food for two. The large gets fired up when a larger crowd is coming. I have not been unhappy with the mini. It fits on my table next to the LBGE. I got my mini with the stand for 200.00 new. I do beer can chicken [1] using the freds bbq directions and it came out wonderful. I can do a whole backrib no problem. 3-5 lbs spare ribe [non St. Louis style] is a little much for a mini but could be done stacking the meat.
    Price differance between the small and mini was my main decision point. As I said I have not wished I had bought a small. I am at the point where I could say a MBGE is a respectable 2nd egg if size was the only factor.
    E
  • ChefBrian
    Options
    Based on your requirements for your second egg you must buy a small. The mini is too small for your needs.
    I have a small that I bought specifically to take with me. I can cook for small groups with it, and do regularly.
    At home I use it the most as well.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I've noticed that a lot of Eggers buy two sizes down for their 2nd Egg.

Specifically, if you have an XL, the next Egg tends to be a Medium.

If you have a Large, the second Egg tends to be a Small.

If you have a Medium, the second Egg tends to be a Mini.

Might be an interesting post down the line to survey this more directly, but as to your question, here are some numbers that might help:

wPbJMm.jpg

Grid diameter in inches, Cook Area in square inches, Weight in pounds, and "Steaks" as defined by BGE mothership. Your mileage may vary depending on steak size!

To simplify all the numbers, the Mini is about twice as big.

Why not draw 9" and 13" diameter circles on paper and see if those cooking sizes suit you? I'd allow a bit of clearance to the edge. If you're concerned about inside clearance, calling the mothership would be helpful.
  • For what it is worth. My wife bought me a medium last Christmas, wich worked great for cooking steaks, burgers, and tendorlon for us. My only problem was that more people started showing up for meals, so four months later I upgraded to a large. I have the two side by side in a table and I cook on both of them a lot. I know the medium may be a little heavier than you are looking for but it seems to be a good compliment to my large. Good Luck with your decision. I don't think you will go wrong with any choice.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    With hubby and I, we use the small a lot. we got it to take camping and have added the mini since. Most of the time we cook on the small though. I can carry the mini by myself :kiss: and the small in the tote box if I take the innards out of it first. I am a rugged girl :whistle: we have a med and a large too. Julie
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    For what you want, go with the small!
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Had the same question a few weeks back. Got the Mini, but given your circumstances, the Small sounds more appropriate. The Mini works great for the wife and I. After a long day of work, I don't mind the idea of getting the Mini going, much less work than the Large. It's great for small meals and leftovers, sides, etc.