Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

upside down truffled chicken

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love steve raichlen's "Beer-Can Chicken" cookbook. It's off-beat, funny and most the recipes turn out great. For the holidays I decided to try his truffle chicken with a twist. I cooked it upside down.[p]Di Bruno Bros. down in Philly's Italian market carry truffles in season. right now they've got huge, white truffles from Alba, Italy. Pricey? Sure. But it's the holidays. [p]To cook a truffle chicken, just rub a garlicky olive oil with salt and pepper all over the bird. Over the skin and under the skin. Throw a few truffle slices under the breast skin. Drop one in the bird's cavity and one in the drip pan. BTW I don't know about other truffles,but white ones have an intense almost stinky smell - ah, perfume that sends pigs and dogs over the edge. Our neighbor's dog kept howling for the whole cook. [p]I cooked the chicken upside down. I stuck it on one of those Spandex vertical roasters with the neckside down, feet in the air. The bird takes up more room this way, so I could only use one grid. I put the bird on two aluminum covered firebricks laying on their side. A pizza stone would have worked as well. The chicken juices leaked off the aluminum foil into the fire so the bird cooked unevenly until I straightened that out. I kept the temp at 280º with a temp ring (#3). [p]Two-three hours later I took off the temp ring for 20 minutes to let the skin crisp as the egg's temp went up to 350-400. When I took the chicken off the breast was in the 170s and the thigh meat was in the 190s. But with slow-cooking these temps are not a problem. [p]The result was a pungent, moist bird with a deep, nut-like flavor and crispy skin. Perfect. As I carved it up, I threw any truffle pieces I found in the gravy. [p]I'd love to try this with a turkey, except I don't think I could do that bird upside down. [p]cb