Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon and a B-17 Bomber...

Options
Cincykid
Cincykid Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not two things in a subject line you would expect to see. :)

Got up this morning and prepared a simple fish cure for a 2 pound side of salmon (1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sea salt and 2 TBS pepper). Covered the salmon and threw it in the fridge. Took the wife and baby down to our smaller airport (good sports bar for football and the baby loves the planes) for lunch. Turns out there was an actual B-17 bomber and WWII pilots down there talking about their experiences and selling rides in the bomber. At $425 a ride it was a little too pricey for me but the plane was pretty cool.

When we got home I fired up the XL, threw on some alder wood and got the salmon ready to go.

The bomber...
006.jpg

005.jpg

After rinsing off the cure and hitting it with a little DP Raging River...
015-1.jpg

Just finished.
018.jpg

Cooling in the fridge now and will be good on crackers for the Alabama/Georgia game.

Comments

• Gilroy
    Options
    Great pics of the bomber. Gonna try the recipe too!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    great salmon, great plane.

remember, you aren't buying a plane ride, you are buying a memory. at least, that's how i justifed my ride in a B-24.

B-24_small.jpg

next up. flying a P-51. the only P-51D (bubble canopy) with a two-seater cockpit. and they let you fly it 95% of the time (it's a trainer).

guy talks you through loops, etc. whatever you can handle. i'm saving up, because it's something like 2500 for an hour.

gulp.

but no one's shooting at you.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bitslammer
    Options
    Damn I missed that one again. I like to bike down around Lunken and always try and hit that week when they have all the WWII stuff.
  • Cincykid
    Options
    Bitslammer,

Where are you in WKRP land? Sounds like you are close to me in Hyde Park. The B-17 will be at Lunken tomorrow as well. It is worth going down there, grabbing a Sierra Nevada on the patio, and checking it out.
  • hey! are you guys going to the reggae run in ault park on oct 4th?
  • Cincykid
    Options
    Rick,

I can walk to Ault Park. We will be there. Will you be cooking? :woohoo:
  • i'll be at the chili booth and roaming around taking photographs all night. it's a great party if you've never been there before :woohoo:
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Hey Cincykid....

How much water did you use in that brine? 1 gallon? BTW- ever been to the WWII museum in Reading, PA for the WWII Weekend?

Brian in PA
  • Cincykid
    Options
    What time will you be there? We have a 15 month old who normally starts melting down by 7pm. Pretty sure we can't last through the party and live band. It is a great event for an outstanding cause. We need to get Rollocks, DJHuffjr and Bitslammer there as well.
  • Cincykid
    Options
    Boss Hogg,

I didn't brine the salmon at all. Take the cure ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup sea salt
    2 TBS pepper

Mix in a bowl. Put the salmon in a pyrex type dish. coat both sides (if no skin) with all the mixture. It may look like too much but use it all and make sure you get the sides and ends covered. Cover it and store it in the fridge for 3-4 hours (I took the smaller piece out earlier so it didn't get too salty).

I smoked it over alder wood (pecan or apple work great too) for about an hour until it hit 145-150.

I have not been to the WWII museum in Reading but would love to go. It could be time for an early fall roadtrip... :cheer:
  • i volunteer and work at the event so i'll be there at about noon, but you can't get in till 6:30 and the run starts at 6. party only tickets are $25 ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    my elderly neighbor - a retired AF himself proudly took that same trip recently and told me the $425 was peanuts to restoring his memories and besides he got to sit in the gunner's belly and about then he "lost it"...May GOD BLESS the USA!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Don,

Thanks for setting me straight. I caught a bunch of bluefish on the Chesapeak Bay this week and I want to brine them before I smoke them in my.....(cookshack) :blush: smoker tomorrow. I'll try your recipe next time I do salmon.

Tha WWII weekend is next June 5,6,&7th. Check out the Air Museum's website www.maam.org(I don't know how to do links) :( .

Have a good weekend.

Brian