Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Coffee Makers

Options
2»

Comments

• Buxwheat
    Options
    Not to whip a dead horse, but here is another coffee brewing technique: Cold Filtering. Two companies I know of are Filtron and Toddy. I have the Filtron. The coffee it makes is quite different than anything made with hot water extraction. The oils that some people feel are necessary for full coffee flavor are absent (insoluble w/ cold water), however, these very oils contain the acids that are rough on the stomach and produce the metallic "brightness" of coffee. This technique produces a very "smooth" cup and easy on the stomach. It can be made quickly (after collection of the concentrate) and the strength is easy to adjust. Basically, a pound or so of ground coffee is allowed to soak in about 1.5 liters of water for 12-24 hours (adjust for taste, but the longer it soaks, the more chance of some oils dissolving and altering taste). After it soaks, you pull the plug on the soaking chamber and the liquid passes through a filter and is collected in a jar/carafe. This coffee concentrate is then mixed with hot water to produce a good cup. The hot water tap on the Bunn is perfect or use the microwave, electric kettle, etc. Even if you don't like the coffee it makes for a hot cup, use this concentrate for iced coffee drinks. This is how it is made at Seattle's Best. The concentrate is great to bring camping because all you need is to boil water, no coffee percolator or French press needed. Here are some links: Filtron and Toddy
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    pretty interesting. sounds a lot like the Bunn, only on steroids.

thank you
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    interesting. trying to find how they work (how they are used).

i frankly would drink a mug of espresso if i could....
  • stike
    Options
    if i respond to every post saying thank you, i will have an extra 50 posts to my name. already posted more today than most do in a week.

thanks for all you help guys.
    J
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Yikes ... this reply makes me an expert egger!

The stove top expresso maker is similar to a perculator. It comes in three basic pieces -- the bottom resevoir, a basket for the coffee and a resevoir on top. You fill the bottom resevoir with water and add your coffee to the basket. The basket fits into the top of the bottom resevoir and then you screw on the top part. The water is then heated and it will ultimately boil sending steam through the basket which finally condenses into the top resevoir.

The resulting coffee can be quite strong depending upon the bean and the quantity (I use starbuck french roast beans that Costco sells here north of the border).

There are several sizes denoted by number of cups -- these are expresso cup sizes. For my morning jolt, I use a 6 cup model with 2 scoops of coffee that yields a good mug of joe. I'll use the 9 cup size when I am sharing a coffee with someone else. Mass producing can be a bit tedious.

The one essential thing to know is that you the espresso maker should never be cleaned with soap. The more you use it, the tastier the coffee.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Cookn&Climbn
    Options
    i've got a black and decker 8 cup thermal coffee maker. its great because its programable,
    has a trap so you can take the jar out while the coffee is brewing and pour the first cup without it spilling everywhere,
    jar is aluminum with an airtight screw on lid so it insolates,
    there's no bottom burner = no burned coffee.
    the jar is so good at insolating you can put it in the fridge and an hour later the coffee is still hot.

DSC00760.jpg
  • RobMonctonNB
    Options
    A few months ago, I purchased a Technivorm MoccaMaster CD Thermal coffee machine. Makes absolutely fantastic coffee. Best part is that it's made in Holland...not in China!!! Brews very fast and brings the water to the proper temperature (approx 202-206 F) for excellent coffee extraction.

http://www.technivorm.com/pages/products-home.html#

THERMO-MOCCAMASTER.gif