Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE response to melting gasket adhesive on new egg

Options
HoldOn2UrButts
HoldOn2UrButts Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I reported my problem with melting gasket adhesive (after just 3 uses) to the mothership and got a response from Bruce in customer service.

Apparently, BGE is seeing a number of problems with the gasket adhesive on new eggs that have been recently produced. The problem causes the adhesive to melt, which of course causes the gasket to fail by pulling away from the rims (both top and bottom).

In my case BGE is sending out a new gasket without the adhesive that I will need to attach with only the spray adhesive.

I am mightily impressed that Bruce took the time to contact me about the problem and to so quickly provide a solution.

Here are the pics of what happened to my gasket:
P1100070.jpg

P1100075.jpg

P1100069.jpg

I asked Bruce if BGE were going to stop shipping replacement gaskets with adhesive and he told me that he couldn't tell me at this time. My advice is to check this out if you recently purchased either a new egg or a new replacement gasket and you've experienced failure of the adhesive.

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Good to know you got a reply and fix so quick. Hate it happened but things happen and as long as company makes it right can't ask for any thing else.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    As a dealer,in order to be proactive to this issue we have changed out every gasket on all of our large and XL eggs and allowed them to cure before sending them to customers. This has stopped the problem.We went to our customers homes and replaced gaskets at no charge as well. Just curious. Did you buy your EGG from a dealer or the mothership?
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Bruce is a good guy. He has helped me out a few times.

I'm glad BGE is finally sending out the replacement gaskets without adhesive. Assuming your going to use 3M Super 77, mask your Egg well as overspray is a real issue and spray both the rims of the Egg and the gasket. Allow to set-up; about 90 secs, and then slowly apply, being very careful not to stretch the gasket. The gasket will look like it's bunching up on the inside circumferences, but as soon as the Egg is heated to cooking temperatures, the gasket shrink slightly and it will flatten out nicely. The nomex is a huge improvement over the felt. Mark
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    That sounds great - always glad to hear when they stand behind the egg like that! BTW did he say specifically he was sending you a Nomex or just a new gasket? That's two different animals you know.

Furthermore this subject is deja vu since about 18 months ago there was a rash of brand new eggs having this same gasket problem. It was like their source of gasket material went sour on them.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Wish I had a dealer like you. Nice job. I'm sure your customers appreciate your efforts. My dealer's main business is mostly high end patio furniture and and fireplaces. They only sell the Eggs as sort of a novelty item and they don't inventory any accessories to speak of.
  • Biscuit
    Options
    Weekend Warrior wrote:
    Wish I had a dealer like you. Nice job. I'm sure your customers appreciate your efforts. My dealer's main business is mostly high end patio furniture and and fireplaces. They only sell the Eggs as sort of a novelty item and they don't inventory any accessories to speak of.

Thanks I do it out of love for the BGE
  • HoldOn2UrButts
    Options
    I bought my egg from a dealer who doesn't specialize in eggs, but he thinks highly enough of them to give me a new gasket (of course it had the adhesive on it so it may fail again).

I'll just keep the one I get from BGE until/if the replacement I got from my dealer fails.
  • HoldOn2UrButts
    Options
    Bruce did not indicate exactly what he was sending, only that it was a new gasket without adhesive.

As I indicated in response to Biscuit, my dealer gave me a new replacement gasket (with adhesive), and I'll wait to install what I get from BGE if/until the replacement fails.
  • Biscuit
    Options
    1. Only replace gasket on a completely cooled BGE.
    [We recommend removing the Dome from the Base as it allows for easier access to the rim]*
    2. Remove the old gasket with a flat-edged scraper. Clean the rim of the Base and the Dome with acetone.
    [Do not use any other residue remover as it may cause irreversible damage.]*
    3. Let dry for at least 30 minutes; the surface must be totally clean for the new gasket to adhere.
    4. The new gasket is self-adhesive, but a spray adhesive can be used to ensure a good seal. If using the spray adhesive, spray a small amount around the rim of the Base and Dome. Allow this to set for about 2 minutes to become tacky.
    [We recommend using ONLY 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive]*
    5. Remove backing from gasket and press firmly down onto the rim. Bend the gasket around the rim while pressing down, being careful not to let the gasket material hang over the inside edge of the rim. Do not stretch the gasket; there is ample material for the Base and the Dome of the EGG. Allow gasket to cure for 24 hours with the lid closed before using the EGG. If the gasket should loosen, it can be glued back on with Elmer’s glue.
    [If the Dome was removed, once the new gaskets have been applied, replace the Dome back on the Base. We strongly recommend waiting a minimum of 3 days until using the EGG, allowing the materials to properly cure. We also recommend doing at least 5 low-and-slow cooks (less than 500 degrees) to allow the new gasket to season]*
    6. To improve longevity, keep gasket clean of any food or sauce drippings.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Congratulations Biscuit, sounds like you are a dealer to love.

My dealer out here is much the same. I buy everything I can from his store as a thank you for great service.

My best to all of the great dealers out there.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    RRP,

From the recent posts and pictures as well as some posts a few weeks back it sure does sound like there is a batch of bad adhesive on the gaskets.

I have also noticed on some pictures of new eggs as well as a new base I have that the installation of the gasket material has been lacking. There have been gaps left open in the joints.

GG
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    I talked to Bruce today about the same thing. He is sending out a new gasket. He seemed like a good guy, and it seems that BGE cares about their customers. I understand that things happen sometimes, and I will not hold this against them at all. I really like my egg!

Woody
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    BTW, where is everyone getting the 3M 77 ?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    it's a common product carried at ACE and most big box stores.
    IMG_1026.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Home Depot, Lowes, most art and or architectural supply store. Shouldn't be hard to find.

GG
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Same thing here, man--this was on my #3 egg which I've recently purchased. Talked with the same guy. Bruce, and my adhesive-free gasket is en route. Luckily I've had good experiences with the first two eggs, and only problems with one.

I posted some pics of the failed adhesive/gasket/whatever, and you can see the shiny tape-looking stuff showing there in some of those pics.

Good luck with the installation and curing, and more importantly, with the cooks going forward :)
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I also talked to Bruce and it is a nomex gasket with no glue. I am also getting one, the service from BGE is great.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    According to the official 3M website for their Super77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive:

3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Adhesive is an extremely versatile, fast-drying adhesive that bonds a wide range of lightweight materials. Its fast, aggressive tack and low soak-in make it ideal for projects all around your home or business. It forms strong bonds with everything from paper, cardboard, fabric and cushion foam to plastic, metal, wood and much more.

Here is where to buy.

The website also offers Tips & Techniques for use.

Please note that the MSDS helpfully states that

Intentional concentration and inhalation may be harmful or fatal.

Methinks having your lungs glued shut might be harmful, yes! Perhaps more relevant to the Eggers here, the MSDS states that it contains chemicals that could be harmful to pregnant folks and fetuses, so please use it in a well-ventilated area, people!

As one who has already pre-paid for an Egg at Eggtoberfest, I'm kinda sorta wondering what the quality will be of the gasket I'm getting, particularly if I happen to get one that an Egghead chef used for a high-temp cook... :ohmy:
  • HoldOn2UrButts
    Options
    I'm gonna stay relatively low with the gasket my dealer gave me for a while in the hopes it will give me longer life. If/when it fails I'll use the one the mothership is shipping out to me and hope for the best.

Sounds like there's lot's of frustration on this issue (understandable), but it's great to hear and experience the backing BGE is giving to all of us. It's pretty rare in today's day and age of companies only caring about how much money they can take from the regular folks.
  • This Sunday, we cooked pizza at a high temp . . .600 degrees. The seal melted and made a nasty mess . . .black slimy stuff that will take hours to remove. This is the third seal I have lost and is the third my dealer has replaced. Am seriously considering another type of seal. What is Nomax? Does BGE sell it? What about fiberglass as in door seals on woodstoves?

The felt seals are fine as long as the temp stays below 400. Do I have to confine all my cooking to low temps just because the gasket melts?