Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a great shrimp recipe?

Options
Pig Sooie
Pig Sooie Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never done shrimp before. I have a feeling I'll be doing turkey, ham, etc. pretty soon with the holidays coming up---want to do something a little different this weekend. [p]Anyone got a surefire, even simple recipe? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Pig Sooie,[p]It doesn't get any easier than this: Brush with olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste, direct grill at 350 for a few minutes per side. It's awesome. [p]If I buy less than colossal size shrimp, I use two skewers to hold six or eight shrimp. Using two skewers makes it easy to turn.[p]Good luck. If you go with another recipe, I suggest that you try a couple this way for comparison.[p]Pout
  • MrCoffee
    Options
    Pig Sooie,
    Make sure you don't overcook the shrimp unkess you like your shrimp rubbery. I made that mistake several times before I got it figured out.
    Terry

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Pig Sooie,
    Add a lot of cayenne/cajun seasoing to Italian bread crumbs, roll shirmp in bread crumbs, wrap half piece of bacon around shrimp, then roll in bread crumbs again. Skewer using 2 skewers and grill about 350 or so. When the bacon is cooked, so are the shrimp.
    Now, I'm hungry!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    shrimp.jpg
    <p />Pig Sooie,[p]I like to brag that this recipe made me Internationally famous, since I once got a thank you from a gentleman in Australia. [p]If you chose to try it, many folks have suggested to double or triple the amount of honey. I agree.[p]K~G

[ul][li]Jamaican grilled shrimp[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Pout,
    For a treat, substitute (Dizzy Pig's) Tsunami Spin for the salt & pepper. With colossals, it helps if you split the back of the shell.
    They're ready when the shells turn white.
    Ken

• Pig Sooie,[p]This one, from Steve Raichelen's book, The Barbecue Bible!, made a shrimp-lover out of me. Finger-lickin' good![p]Lee[p]Texas Gulf Coast Shrimp[p]1 ½ pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
    1 cup bottled clam broth, chicken broth or water
    1 stick butter
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    4 scallions, both white and green parts, chopped
    1 ½ tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce, or Tabasco
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons sweet paprika
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ¾ cup of dark cane syrup ( or, ½ cup dark Karo syrup mixed with ¼ cup molasses)[p]Combine the shrimp shells and clam broth in a sauce pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until slightly reduced, 10-15 minutes. Strain the broth into a medium-sized saucepan. Should be about ¾ cup of broth.[p]To the shrimp broth, add all the remaining ingredients, except the shrimp. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, and cook, uncovered, until thick, syrupy and rich, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.[p]Put shrimp in a sturdy ziplock plastic bag and add the cooled marinade. Let marinade in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.[p]Preheat grill to high. [p]Oil the grill grate. Remove the shrimp from marinade; reserve marinade. Grill shrimp directly over high heat until nicely browned on the outside, and firm and pink on the inside, about 2 minutes per side. Brush the shrimp with reserved marinade while cooking.[p]Transfer shrimp to serving platter. Bring the remaining marinade to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour over the shrimp and serve immediately. Excellent![p][p][p]