Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PLAYING WITH THIRDEYE'S PASTRAMI

Options
bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got lazy last weekend and thought I would just do some ribs and a pastrami.
No brainer right? Go to Publix, buy a corned beef that is in brine, rinse, throw some pepper and spices and then smoke it on the BGE. Then I reread thirdeye's recipe. Whoops. Long story short, if you want to have some fun and play around, make some pastrami. Start with the basic recipe from thidreye and go from there.
Lessons learned: Don't add salt!

The cut on the left I used DP Rasing the Steak(This is where the salt came from)

003.jpg

The cut on the right was thirdeye's recipe.

P9202819.jpg

Sharing a ride on the Egg with the beast

The finished product. This thirdeye's..very moist and tender but not mushy. GREAT TASTE! This will be lunch today!

Next is the DP. Now to be fair, this was a pull it out of your A** thing because I like to play around.

Little Chef likes this one better but did say a little salty. I will ask Chris from DP if he can omit salt from the Rasing the Steak rub and try this again.
P9202826.jpg

*PING* FlPoolman what are you having for lunch? :whistle:
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• bubba tim
    Options
    Whoops, This is the DP cut
    P9202831.jpg
    :S :S :S
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • With a subject like that one, Wherer in the Heck is STUMP BABY???????????
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Tim,

Before asking Chris to lower the stakes, maybe you could whip up a small batch of no-salt rub....

Check out the Jim Goode (and the JJ variation) on my site. Although he calls it a beef rub, I like to rub it on chicken parts the day before grilling. You could also omit the salt from the Montreal rub, that might be a good pastrami rub too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Looks good Tim. Started 2- 8 pound butts about 9 last night. Thought they might be done by noon but they have been at 150 for 2 hours now (dome temp has been 250 all night) Guess I might have to fire up the other EGG for some wings. :laugh:
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Love that pastrami. Make some hash out of some of it. That may help with the excess salt, plus it makes a great breakfast.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That is some nice looking pastrami indeed Tim.

Now cook up some good burgers then pile the pastrami high on the burgers.

Pastrami burgers make a great lunch.

Kent
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Hi Kent, Too late, I sliced it up real thin heated it up with some swiss. Two pieces of jewish rye with some deli mustard. Nothing left but crumbs! :woohoo:
    :woohoo:

Gunnar, good suggestion with making hash. That would work with the salt thang. Thanks. :)

Pat, how are your butts doing?

Thanks thirdeye, I like you suggestion. I think I will have to try that.