Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super 77 vs. High Temp Silicone

Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My original felt gasket is nearing the end of its life cycle. My inclination at the moment is to replace with Nomex. If I go this route, I plan to find Nomex with no adhesive strip and glue it myself.

Seems to me that most here recommend 3M Super 77 spray. They also recommend masking for the (inevitable?) over spray. I'm a 2nd floor condo egger and I don't have anywhere but my little deck to use as a work space for this project, so the thought of over spray scares me. Has me leaning toward high temp silicone. Seems like I can control this so much better. Open to feedback from folks who have gone either of these routes (or another, for that matter). Thanks.

Comments

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Stanley, I replaced my gasket with a BGE nomex last weekend. I used the 3M Supper 77 and did not mask, I held the spray close so there was minimal overspray on the egg and none on my deck that I could see. You might spread some newspaper if you think it might be a problem for you. I let it set for approx. 36 hrs before using. When I did use the next day for a 350 cook the gasket slid in a couple of places but was easily put back in place. Have cooked 4 times since and have had no problem and the gasket is now stuck down very tight, did a 450-500 cook last night. My thoughts are you might not want to do a high temp cook until the glue sets for awhile. Your idea of using a nomex gasket without the sticky backing might be better. Mike
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i used high temp (copper) silicone. it was gasket adhesive.

i had gotten frustrated by the rutland cement failing, and i tore the gasket off. without cleaning anything, i simply laid down a bead of permatex 600-degree-rated silicone, and replaced the rutland gasket (which still had the old adhesive clinging to it. the gasket has never moved since.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Stanley,

Have you confirmed if the 'no-adhesive' is even available?

Kent
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Not yet (only rumors).
  • I previously read on this forum if you place it in the freezer for ahile you can pull the adhesive strip off of the gasket. Let us know if that works.