Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical Roaster & Drip Pan

Options
Rick
Rick Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,[p]Should I use the vertical roaster for a turkey, or is breast side down just as good?[p]Where does one put a drip pan in the Egg? Place it on top of the coals, or build the fire around it (neither of which seem right).[p]Thanks...[p]Rick.

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Rick,[p]Breast side down or breast side up on a Vrack is all good.
    I've never used a vert roaster for a turkey but I'm sure that'd be just as good, too.... sure is on chickens.... I'd be inclined to truss the turkey if cooking vertically.... and making sure the bird does not touch the dome thermometer.

Place the drip pan on the grill and place the Vrack or vert roaster directly onto the drip pan. The drip pan will do double duty as a heat deflector and to keep the juices/fat off the coals.
    Good cookin![p]WD

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Grill_Setup4.jpg
    <p />Rick,
    Or you can get a "Plate Setter". This is a large piece of ceramic, available either from your dealer or BGE, that will allow you to do indirect cooks as well. Here is a pic of how the setup may look.[p]Cheers -[p]Mike

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Rick,
    I have my VTR for the past 3 years for turkey with and without a drip pan. I really didn't see any difference. Two things to look out for: 1-Make sure your BGE thermometer doesn't stick into the breast of your turkey and 2-Make sure you have enough room between the top of your turkey and the chimney for ventilation. As far as where to put the drip pan, I just put my drip pan on the grill and my VTR in it. Set your digital thermometer for about 165 degrees and let it cook.
    Julie