Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone put a BGE on a screened porch?

Andy
Andy Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We want to build in the BGE on our screened porch which is fairly large with 9 ft ceilings but we are concerned about the amount of smoke it puts off...if it will be a nuisance or stain the ceiling which is painted white bead board or house which is hardiplank. We want to put a vent hood over it but don't know if that will change the way it cooks as far as the temperature. Any help? Thanks?

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I have mine in a 15 x 20 screen pool enclosure next to the house with no problems.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 2
    Thanks...I see your an expert egger...any opinion on the vent hood?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    you might want to talk to ssn686 here is a link to his sitwe where his "kitchen" is after construction

http://mysite.verizon.net/jct1013/id3.html

but i think his roof is glass?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I have my large under a SunTuf ceiling, with the sides screened in. The roof is peaked but I can't tell that the smoke has hurt it at all in the three years or so I've had the egg out there. I know it hasn't changed the color of my Hardy board.

I would bet that after a while your white bead board is going to show some smoke coloring. Somewhere here there is a post showing how to vent an Egg to an outside wall to prevent just this very thing. I wouldn't have a clue on how to find it, but the post had something like AC vent tubing running to the screen and was just attached after the lump was ready to cook on.

Good luck.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I have mine on a screen porch. I have two skylights that open and a ceiling fan that helps eliminate any smoke. I will admit that the fan blades do get rather groddy over time though.
  • Here's a picture of BobbyB's cook shack. I was at his house for dinner last night and saw no problems associated with his three eggs being inside a screened in enclosure.

IMG00868.jpg
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hi Andy,
    I had my Egg on the screened porch for 5 years. I had a very low ceiling, like 7 1/2 feet. I had some smoke shumutz on the aluminum maybe a little on the screens but an easy fix with a power washer. At nine feet, I would not be too concerned but you will have to be proactive and do a power wash once a year.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Funny you should ask…We live outside of New Orleans and evacuated for Hurricane Gustav 2 weeks ago. In preparing the house for 100 mph winds I rolled my Egg into the screen porch (the garage was full). We returned home to no damage (lost 2 small trees). So I was being lazy and said “what the heck, just going to do some burgers” and left the Egg on the screen porch. Well I’ll never do that again. My ceiling is 9 feet but it’s made of a vinyl material similar to the siding on the house, and right above the ceiling is the attic, which has a good layer of insulation on it. Well the smoke rose up and worked its way into the attic and then pretty much filled the house with smoke, mostly in the bathrooms b/c of the fresh air fans in there. The burgers were good but man you could smell them for days inside the house!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Have both large and small on screened in porch with 9ft ceilings and white painted bead board..have two large ceiling fans to keep air moving while cooking and have had no problems at all....
    Porch080408-1.jpg
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Terry:

Thanks for stepping in for me! If you look at the "old" cook area (look at the "before construction" page at the bottom) you will see that the ceiling there was aluminum and about 7.5 feet. It did get smoke covered after a few years of Egging. The "new" kitchen roof is screen, not glass, so the smoke just rises away.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Had them on a screened porch and then this summer since i did not have to go through 4 feet of snow to get to them moved them out to the screened in gazebo. works great and no trouble and we have three all going at once some nights. and some long cooks too. just walk a little further :)
  • I keep mine under an aluminum carport roof that is approx. 8' high. For the first few months I didn't notice anything but you can hear the aluminum stretching from the heat when you first light the egg. Now after about 6 months I can see visible buildup which is sort of a smokey yellow/brownish color. It doesn't seem to be a serious problem so I just plan to power wash it once a year. With a flammable roof I wouldn't go any less than 9' and I would recommend fans or vents on the ceiling to keep air moving, especially on a flat ceiling.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wow. That's kinda almost inside. Looks like a really nice comfortable place to cook. Very nice.

Glad the smoke is not a problem, but my new way of thinkin and I would be wonderin a little about the possible ways you could start a fire. Being attached to the house and all. 'Course I am a little skittish now ;-)

Real nice sanctuary you gots there! Hope all is well down in our next door state. Weather sure is purty here in Virginia.
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ