Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12# Prime Rib

blrmkr
blrmkr Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some suggestions on a prime Rib for the weekend. Large egg

Comments

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    blrmkr,
    I did 12# bone in on my Medium last weekend. About 350° dome temp for 3 hours or so. Took it off at 135° internal. Turned out great! Hoqwever, was more medium well to well after sitting for 15 minutes. Doing again tomorrow in what looks like pouring rain all day. I'll take off at 125° or 130° internal this time to be more medium rare to medium after sitting for 15 or 20 minutes.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    blrmkr,[p]I like to cook mine at 200º, BUTTTT, I also like to sear it first. This is a pretty fatty piece of meat, so low and slow works wonders.[p]Below are several ways of fixing it. Note...these instructions are for oven baking...but it is the same as doing in the egg.[p]Enjoy!![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Standing Rib Roast [p]CHRIS'S HERBED ROAST
    2 tablespoon(s) Basil, fresh
    2 tablespoon(s) Oregano, chopped
    2 tablespoon(s) Parsley, fresh, chopped
    2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh
    2 tablespoon(s) Garlic, crushed
    1 tablespoon Black pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoon(s) Salt
    4 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
    MUSTARD PRIME RIB
    2 tablespoon(s) Black peppercorns
    2 tablespoon(s) Mustard seed
    1/2 cup Mustard, whole grain
    2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh
    KEVI'S KING OF THE ROASTS
    Worcestershire sauce or A1 Sauce
    Horseradish
    Yum Yum Steak Seasoning
    HORSERADISH DIPPING SAUCE
    1/2 cup Sour cream
    2 tablespoon(s) Horseradish
    2 teaspoon(s) White pepper
    2 teaspoon(s) Worcestershire sauce[p]PREPARATION:
    Chris's Herbed Roast: Mix all ingredients into a paste and apply to roast. Let sit overnight.[p]Mustard Prime Rib: Crush the pepper and mustard seeds. Mix all together into a paste and apply to roast. Let sit overnight.[p]Kevi's King of the Roasts: Slather on sauce, then apply horseradish and finally sprinkle with seasoning. Let sit overnight.[p]Cooking instructions for all recipes: Allow roast to come to room temperature. Pre-heat oven to 200º. In a large roasting pan, on the stove top over 2 burners, brown the rib roast on all sides. This will take about 8-10 minutes to do. About 1/2 cup of fat should render out during this process. Remove the roast from the pan and place a wire rack in the bottom of the pan. Set the roast on this rack. Place the roast in the oven and cook for 30 minutes per pound...it will take about 3 1/2 hours for a 7 pound roast. Meat temp should be around 125º for rare, 135º for medium rare. When removing from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest 20 minutes. This will allow the temp to go up another 5-10º and will allow the juices to re-distribute. [p]To make your AuJus, add some beef broth or red wine to the foil pan, heat up and scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this mixture reduce by 1/2.[p]Horseradish Sauce: Mix all ingredients together and then chill.[p]

• Gandolf,[p]Excellent point here - carry over heat will kill you if you don't account for it. The higher the cook temp the more carry over.[p]Also, don't take any temperature probe out immediately. The roast will lose all of its juices through the hole if you do!

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    super3b.gif
    <p />tlhrtp,[p]Not true! [p]Meat is comprised of millions of INDIVIDUAL cells...it does not have 1 BIG cell. Hence, you will not lose that much juice(some, but VERY little as a percentage).[p]This is one of the most common myths in regards to meats......piercing will NOT result in a major loss of juices.[p]One way of tenderizing is to use a jaccard. Even using all these needles will still result in a juicy cut of meat.[p]Stogie
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    blrmkr,
    Personally, when I do mine, I prefer simple. Trim it nicely, wiped lightly with olive oil then season the outside with onion/garlic powder, black pepper and a little salt. Cook fat side up. Cook at 3-350*; plan on a couple of hours but let the thermometer be your guide.