Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Butt

Options
Tripmaker
Tripmaker Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put a 12lb. brisket and a 9 lb. Boston Butt side by side on my large BGE. Set up with the plate setter and a 240 degree dome temp. The brisket was done after 11 hours 15 minutes and a temp of 200. The pork butt was done in 13 hours and taken off at 195. The brisket turned out a bit on the dry side so perhaps I should have removed it sooner. The butt was nice and moist. Both were held in a cooler for 4 hours after the cook.

Question is, some on here talk about a butt taking 18 hours, at what dome temp are you cooking to go that long? Both my attempts so far are coming in at right at 1.5 hours per pound. I have checked my thermometers and they are right on at boiling temp.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Your times are right on for that temp. When I have managed to get my egg stabilized at 220, it will take closer to 2 hours rather than 1.5 hours. I have not found enough difference that I worry too much about it. I want my temps under 240 but I will take anything between 220 and 240.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    My butts almost always take around 16 to 17 hours at 250 dome temp and 7 to 8 pound butts. I think every butt is a little different and that's what helps make the world go around. ;) I pull my briskets around 180 to 185 and then foil. I think 200 meat temp is a little above where you should be for a brisket.
  • Tripmaker
    Options
    Next time I'll pull the brisket off earlier. I was a bit surprised that they were done as quickly as they were. When I put them on it was a tight fit with no space between the two meats, of course by the time I pulled the brisket they had both reduced in size. I thought though due to the total volume of meat they both would have taken longer than they did. It's all still a learning experience for me.