Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Configuring the Egg into Turkey Mode

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This will be my first time doing the Thanksgiving bird on my (large) BGE and I'm unsure how to set it all up.[p]Please may I have advice on:
* Direct or Indirect cooking?
* Use of place setter?
* Use of Vertical Turkey Roaster vs. V-Rack
* Use of Drip Pan
* Use of smoking woods
* Cooking times (this really worries me)[p]Best wishes.

--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    Please may I have advice on:
    * Direct or Indirect cooking?
    Indirect -- no question here![p]* Use of place setter?
    YES![p]* Use of Vertical Turkey Roaster vs. V-Rack
    Either, but I prefer V Rack since the vert pushes the upper limits of room available.[p]* Use of Drip Pan
    Yes - under the cooking grate and on the upsidedown setter.[p]* Use of smoking woods
    None for me - try it without 1st and do it with next time. Foul soaks up smoke easily and the lump provides a nice amount.[p]* Cooking times (this really worries me)
    Varies on the size of the bird, if it's a breast only, cooking temp used. I would suggest 325-350° dome temp. Figure 2.5 to 3+ hrs depending on size. Then figure a 30 min rest before carving.[p]Tim

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Fairalbion, scroll down in the forum. I think each of these has been answered in the last week or so. Here's start.

[ul][li]Turkey Post Link[/ul]