Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

frozen pork shoulder

Options
double L
double L Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
other than the obvious that it will take longer to cook what other draw backs are there putting it on? it has been thawing between 25&30 hrs but is still pretty hard. it weighs 4.85 lbs I was planning on pulled pork sammies for lunch tomorrow

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Why so long? I took a 11# picnic per-cooked this am and tossed into jacuzzi @100F for 1 1/2 hours. all defrosted.
  • double L
    Options
    I don,t have a jacuzzi would s sink full of warm water work? bagged of of course.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have been using sinks full of water for turkeys and hams for years, but about a year ago someone was talking about Hot Tub steaks and now most of my meat goes into the jacuzzi or pool currently 86F.

I think RRP started me going .

How to, Hot Tub Steaks

I do this a lot, I don't check for the internal temp to be 100, I just keep the water around 100 for an hour. When you put your steak into the ziplock, leave the zip 1/4 open and pull the meat and bag below water level until the opening is just above water then finish zipping it. This will force out almost all the air and allow maximum water contact to the meat. Try to get 700 dome for your sear, I do steaks for 90 seconds a side if I have intense heat. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes under foil. -RP

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, AZRP, 2006/08/19
  • double L
    Options
    thanks for your response Richard I am thawing it in cold water and cook it when the time comes