Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trimmed my ribs... What to do with the scraps?

Options
KingSmono
KingSmono Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just cooked some ribs on my Large BGE, following the 3-2-1 Method here. They were amazing!

2852073968_3c5bfae429.jpg

When preparing the ribs, I trimmed them St. Louis Style... So now I'm wondering, what do you guys do with all of the perfectly good scraps of meat that you cut off when trimming them? Right now they're just in the freezer. Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    rib tips. Cook for about 3 hours with the ribs next time.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    try this from richard :whistle:

Chili, Pork, BGE Red Neck, Richard Fl

OH, what to do with the leftover meat from trimming pork ribs!

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs. Pork Riblets, Trimming of St Louis Ribs
    6 Lbs Pork, Country Rins, Bone in
    1 Cup Green/Red Bell Peppers, Chopped
    4 Large Onions, Coarse Chopped
    2 Ribs Celery, Chopped
    3 Tbs. Jalapeños, Chopped
    2 Cans Beer
    2 Bunches Cilantro, Chopped, Leaves Only
    2 10 Ozs Rotel, Original
    4 14 1/2 Ozs Tomatoes, Crushed
    1 14 1/2 Ozs Stewed Tomatoes
    3 Cups Tomatoe Juice
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Chopped
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Kidney Beans, Red/Pink, include liquid
    1 7 Ozs Can Chipolte Sauce
    2 Cups Pork/Beef/Chicken Stock
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Coarse Ground
    3 Tsp Chili Powder, Chimayo
    2 Tbs Pepper, White, Ground
    2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 Limes, Juice of
    4 Tsp Cumin
    3 Tbs Garlic, Coarse, Chopped
    4 Tbs Oregano, Mexican
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1/2 Stick Butter

Procedure:
    1 Cook the meat in a pot on the stove for about 2 1/2-3 hours. Turn off and when cool, drain the liquid--save some for the stock, and degrease it, separate the meat from the bones and fat. yielded about 6 cups of meat.
    2 BGE 300°F-325°F, indirect, plate setter legs up, spacers under the DO, no top. I prefer to sauté the veggies on the stove, but the egg will work also. 2-3 pieces of apple wood for smoke flavor.
    3 In heavy 9 quart Dutch Oven, saute onions, celery, garlic, add tomatoes, liquids, spices. Cook on simmer for 3 hours. Stir about every 30 minutes so it does not stick.
    4 After 2 1/2-3 hours, add cilantro, pre-cooked pork, beans w/liquid. Cook 2 more hours., may need to add some more tomato juice if it starts to get dry. Add 1/2 stick butter at end for texture.Serve or reheat second day for better flavor. Freezes well.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 hours
    Ready in: 6 hours

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/04/25

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Grind it up up and make sausage
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    While you end up with these, you cook the other "scraps" below.

DSCI0041-4.jpg

Look just below the ribs.
    DSCI0030-5.jpg

A better shot of the "scraps", halfway through the cook.
    DSCI0033-7.jpg
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Throw those babies on the grill and forget about them for about 3 hours. Cook them similar to how you cookekd your ribs and you will have some delicious rib tips to snack on during the college football day tommorow.
  • BENTE
    Options
    how is the new house???

OTOH good to C you still read what is going on....

did not see your name on the eggfest sign-up maybe i missed it :(

hope you are planning to come :unsure:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• UGAVET
    Options
    House is good. Really enjoying it. Have my eggs set up at the basement right now but want to get my outdoor kitchen built in the next year hopefully. I signed up 2 nights ago and seemed to have a little trouble getting the website to finalize my credit card transaction but when i went to the "who's coming" list, i was on the list. I better go check now, you got me nervous.
  • UGAVET
    Options
    Ok, my name is in the list on my computer. It is highlighted in green so that i can click on it which is the same as 2 nites ago and would take me to an add a guest screen but now of course says that registration is at capacity. Let me know if you are not finding me listed in the Smith's
  • KingSmono
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions! One of these days I'll make that chili. (sounds great!) But I think for now I'm just going to toss them on the grill for 3-hours while watching football either today or tomorrow. Next time I'll try cooking them alongside (or below) the ribs!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Thanks Terry. Here is the pic.

100_1286.jpg
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    I brown the meat in olive oil with a good dusting of basil & oregano. Add tomato sauce garlic, etc. and slow cook some of the best tomato sauce ever.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I don't like to trim. Don't understand why anyone would take a nice meaty slab and take the meet off and cook it. I would just use babybacks at that point. Just my 2cents
  • BENTE
    Options
    i did not mean to make you nervous i must have skipped right over it... because i see it now ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Too many good suggestions. You can get fat just reading the posts on this board.