Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook - Best Way

Options
safetyman
safetyman Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well finally got the table stained and 5 coats of spar urethane on it. The large 'egg' is installed, did the 'dollar' test and fired her up and let it heat up to 400. Tonight is the first cook, it will be cut up chicken parts. How is the best way to do them, all I have now is the place setter and the grate that came with it, waiting to get the multiple tier one from eggaccessories, when he gets them in. Thanks to all for helping me get to this point. What I want to know is direct/indirect, time and temp.

Comments

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    After a year of doing this, I still consider myself "new at egging", but this is my sophomoric suggestion. Cover the top side of your plate setter with Aluminium and go indirect at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours. Time may very, I cook on a Xl and mine seems to be different for cooking times. Make sure you have a timer, and a instant read thermometer. Watch you birds temp. Good luck.

Gordon
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I do chicken parts indirect at 425-450 for about an hour. I like the breasts at 160 and thighs/drums at 195. To get them done at close to the same time I keep the breasts in the center of the grid and put the dark meat in a circle around it.

Us a drip pan on the platesetter - chicken parts drip quite a bit.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Theres as many different ways to cook chicken parts as there are types of grills on the market.
    Listen to Fidel, he's one of the Masters here on the forum, but you could also cook them direct and have them come out wonderfully.
  • papa
    papa Posts: 1
    Options
    Did you make your own table following their plans? Just got my first LEGG and thinking about building a table myself.

Papa
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Egg tables are cool. But IMHO the egg itself takes up alot of valuble space in them when a full service table sitting beside an egg/nest combo is more versatile and yields extra storage/usage space on the table.
  • safetyman
    Options
    I bought the cypress table, reason being I got it for $265, Due to not having any time to build one. If I had it to do over again I would build one. I have all the power tools to do it and I would make more storage area. I would also make it so I had bigger wheels for moving it around. It all depends on your situation and how you are going to use it. There are some great table pictures and plans on Nakedwhiz.com web site and the folks on this forum are priceless in the information they have.
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Been there, not long ago. Took the gasket burn warning posts seriously. My first cooks were direct or indirect at lower temps. I like the Simon/Garfunkel chicken in the manual/cookbook. Did it just as the recipe directed, but it's a bit better on a raised grid. Did pork loin indirect, low temps (less than 350) and tri-tip both came out good. My goal was to get a decent meal and not burn the gasket on my new large Egg. I cooked, maybe up to 8-12 times at this lower temps before trying a 500-650 temp cook. Did that make a difference?...don't know...but now at higher temps my gasket still stays in place. I love the low/slow and the sear ability, but for me sear is no more that about 650.