Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old & Rusty to re-seasoned Cast Iron

Options
AuntieEgger
AuntieEgger Posts: 258
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my Cast iron fry pans and wok cleaned up and re-seasoned and they turned out beautiful!! So I am posting before and after pic’s.
For those who did not see my previous post I had bought the cast iron wok and pans at a yard sale for $10. The one fry pan on the top left hand side in the before pic had been painted so I have decided to hang it on a wall as a decorative piece.

Before
IMG_0280.jpg

After
IMG_0312.jpg

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Wow, what a great solution for a deadpan situation (sorry... just couldn't resist)! Did you use sandpaper or just oil & heat? Don't think I'll ever be able to pass up an old CI pan in a thrift shop again!! 8 - )
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Isn't it a "good thing" ? I love old cast iron and can not pass it up. It is amazing how little work really it takes. I was washing out, well rinsing out, one of my old pans last night from cooking and I don't think brand new Teflon will wipe clean as easy! Julie
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    AuntieEgger, send that painted piece to me. I'll be glad to sandblast it for you, season it and send it back if you'll just cover the shipping. Yes, I promise I'll send it back. ;) Mark
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    My hubby used a wire wheel to clean the rust off them I coated them with vegetable oil and baked them in the BGE @ 375-400 for an hour ,, let them cool coated them again with Veg oil and baked them again for another hour. I then let them cool and added another coating of Veg oil.

AuntieEgger
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Hi Mainegg
    Ya Cast iron is better than Teflon any day. Teflon is short lived whereas CI will last for generations to come. Ever try to clean egg off of Teflon coated spatula? It sticks on there like crazy glue but what will take the egg off of a coated spatula is a used bounce sheet and it comes off real easy.