Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket wrapped in foil??

Vogs
Vogs Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on doing a brisket and have read that wrapping in foil at the end of the cook will shorten the cooking time and help in ensuring a moist brisket. Any suggestion or feedback on this method would be appreciated. [p]Thanks,
Vogs

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Vogs,
    This is a subject of varying opinions. I think you have it right about shortening the cooking time, but as far as making it more moist...I don't think so. Much of the mosture on the interior comes from marbled fat, and broken down collagen...or connective tissue. Also cooking at a low temperature that won't dry the meat before all of the collagen is converted. [p]I have learned (and found from experience) that wrapping the brisket in foil/cooler after the cook is concluded, and resting it yields a better product. But personally, when it is in the cooker I never foil. Best to give it all the time it needs to pass the fork test, which usually ends up being 185-190 internal for me, Then rest it in the foil.[p]Whatever you do, it don't git much betta than a chunk-o-chest! Enjoy it.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Nature Boy,
    Curious.... If the fork test works at 190*, for example, what happens if you continue to cook it to 200*? Will it start to toughen up again? I did my second a couple weeks ago. Internal was at 200 but here were some spots where the fork did not slide as easy as others. I wonder if it started to over cook....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster,
    I start checking for tenderness at 185º, brisket is one meat that the point where it is ready can be from 185 to 205º, briskets are just not all made the same.
    I agree with NB about foil during the cook, only use it if competing and we are running out of time. The best ones don't need that kind of help to finish.
    Jim