Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt thoughts...

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recenlty found out that an agent I call on competes in the KCBS network. We were chatting about butts and he suggested injecting, not a lot, some apple cider into the butt. Says that it steams from within. I have found all of my butts very moist. Could this be due to the moisture a ceramic cooker retains vs. a metal off set cooker?
Also, he said he only used hickory smoke for the first 8 hrs or so, then goes to oak. Says hickory can overpower the meat.
Just curious for some thoughts on this.
I think I'm going to try his methods this weekend, but I hate playing with what I consider perfection.

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Wardster, I won't argue whether a ceramic cooker retains more moisture in its cooking environment than a metal cooker. I will say this and this is my humble opinion. That added moisture, whether it occurring naturally in a ceramic cooker or by use of a waterpan in a metal cooker, will not add any extra moisture INSIDE the meat. The extra moisture WILL affect the surface of the meat but not the interior.[p]Beers to you,[p]Juggy D Beerman

• Wardster,
    Injecting will put more moisture into the pork, but the flavor you can add is more the point of the technique IMO.
    It is widely used in the MIM circut for butt and whole hog and you can produce great product.
    Jim

• Wardster,[p]I am far from an expert, but I have done about 150 pounds of shoulder (pulled pork) in the last year. I usually smoke the meat at 225 with hickory for 10 hours or so. My objective is usually 160+ internal. I then take the meat off the BGE, wrap in foil and add about 1/4 cup of apple cider before sealing, and put in oven at 350 until internal reaches 210. I think this improves the flavor and "washes" some of the fat from the meat. I have used this technique as my primary method and reserve 18+ hour cooks for those times when the method seems more important than the meal! I can't tell any difference at the table, but it is much easier to finish in 12 hours.[p]My two cents worth at a margin of the cost![p]Buckeye Bill