Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - cooking time?

Options
7smcb
7smcb Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a 6 lb prime rib on the egg tonight - if I intend to cook at approx 300, how long should I estimate cooking time?

I am buying some sort of wireless thermometer today - which I have obviously never used and I'm keen to avoid a technology related disaster

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    13 min./# @ 325 is a good estimate. Don't forget to let the roast rest for 30 minutes before carving during which time it will gain about another 10 degrees.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi,

This is my favorite cook.

For what it is worth, my advice is not to cook to time on a prime rib but rather to your perfect / desired temp. Saying that, at 300 I would bet it would be about 1-1.5 hours. this also depends on the starting temp of the meat.

I take mine out about 10 degrees before hitting the perfect temp. I then tent the roast in foil before cutting and let it get to the perfect temp (i.e. the exact temp you want)...

I usually do a reverse sear too, meaning at the end I rase the temp up to 500 and let cook the last 10 degrees at a higher temp.( i.e. 20 degrees below the desired temp noted below). This gives a good exterior texture. Alot of people do a sear up front too.

I cook mine at a lower temp 225 or so and indirect too and it takes 20-25min/lb. Here is a guidline I use.

Rare
    120° to 125°F
    center is bright red, pinkish toward the exterior portion

Medium Rare
    130° to 135°F
    center is very pink, slightly brown toward the exterior portion

Medium
    140° to 145°F
    center is light pink, outer portion is brown

Medium Well
    150° to 155°F
    not pink - NOT RECOMMENDED.

20071123Garys%20Bday%20and%20November%20002.JPG

20071123Garys%20Bday%20and%20November%20018.JPG
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Not to gainsay what you've been told, but I did a 6# prime rib last NYE and my meat thermometer decided to go belly up as I was inserting it. So I went by the 15-18 minute/lb rule of thumb and it came out very, very rare...so rare, I had to finish slices in a pan. It was not a happy time.

Go by your thermometer, but I'd plan on the cook taking longer.
  • 7smcb
    Options
    Thanks very much for this - what is the advantage of a reverse sear versus doing it at the start?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    This looked too nice so I skipped the reverse sear.

This was fantastic.

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

Here is the recipe I followed.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

GG
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I always do mine at 250 till I get to 125 inside temp, The sear after a 15 minute rest, I dont track time too much, but searing at the end helps me get everything in order before serving, there is always someone late arriving or other delays, holding off the searing helps so the meat is ready when you want it to be ready and not over cooked or dry
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Just curious, what was the temp of your cooking chamber and how were you measuring it?? When doing cooks of importance (which is about always), I use 2 instruments to monitor the cooking environment and 2 to measure the internal temp of the food. If either of the pairs disagree, experience, logic, or a third device intervenes... 8 - 0~~
  • CPB
    CPB Posts: 133
    Options
    Look at the post prime in paradise. I cooked it at 225 for 5 hours to 117 degrees, rested and then 15 min at 500. It is the method Alton Brown uses, uniform pink. Outstanding.
  • genew
    genew Posts: 40
    Options
    hey grandpa g, great looking prime rib!! Just wondered whether you cooked it indirect or raised direct? What temp did you pull it at??
    Gene
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Other than the reverse sear, this was just too pretty to even think about searing it, I followed thrideye's instructions exactly.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

GG
  • genew
    Options
    OK grandpa, I follow you but thirdeye has two methods..one is raised direct and and one is indirect. I just was wondering which one you used?? I have been trying to decide between methods and just wondered which one you used?? I take it that if you used the reversed sear you used indirect?? Have you ever used the raised direct?? Thanks
    Gene
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I was using my Tel-Tru thermometer. The only other instrument I had was my digital meat thermometer, and it died on me, as I said. I did a front-end sear with a 325* dome.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Sorry,

I used raised indirect. Because of the cost of this cut I didn't want to chance direct.

I used grate temp and monitored both meat and grid with the Maverick ET-73.

Now, I don't think I would be worried about raised direct.

If direct and I was starting the my large with Mapp or weed burner I would load the lump just under the top of the top of the fire box.

If using cube, oil/paper towel or alcohol to light I will fill up to the top of the fire box then let the egg stabilize and sit at stabilized temp for 20 to 30 minutes before putting the meat on. I want all ceramics stabilized, especially the dome.

I used grate temp and monitored both meat and grid with the Maverick ET-73.

My goal would be to make sure there is enough lump for the cook but also to keep the lump as far away from the meat as possible.

I was really concerned about this cook as I was cooking it for guests and I wanted it better than what one could get in a nice restaurant. I was very happy with the result. Next time I think I would sear as I wanted the medium look on the outside ring of each cut. The taste & texture was excellent.

Make sure you let us know & see your results.

GG
  • genew
    Options
    Hey grandpa..thanks for the info. I appreciate any input I can get. Really enjoy my large egg. So far all cooks have been great. Family and friends seem to enjoy!! :laugh: