Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie brisket failure twice

Options
traif boy
traif boy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have had no luck on briskets. So your advice would be helpful. Here is what i did and it came out very dry.

Costco 7.5 lb
pit temp 250 (digiq2)
plattesetter with waterpan on it.
cooked till 165 than foiled and cooked till 192 and removed.

Placed in dryice cooler for one hour

used mustard and worstershire and dryrub with 50 percent turbino sugar.

I have been dispointed that i can't get this correct. If anybody has had great luck on brisket on the xlarge green egg let me know. I would greatly appreciate it

Comments

• Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Need a little more information. Looks like the method you used should produce a good brisket but some people like them different. Was it too tough or too tender (as in did it just fall apart)? Was the flavor not right? Was the crust too soft? Was it a left hand brisket or a right hand brisket? Was it too smokey or not smokey enough? I am not a contest winner (don't participate) but haven't had to through out any brikets in many years.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I don't see why yours is not coming out ok. It may be that you are anticipating more moisture than I would. I have noticed that some of the guys pour in a bit of beef broth when foiling (actually some foil in an aluminum pan to make that even easier).

I personally like my results that I get without foiling at all. I do cover mine with bacon but I think I mainly do that because the bacon is so good in the morning rather than any effect it might have on the brisket moisture.

Keep at it. One thing about cooking Q is that even the failures are pretty tasty.