Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have thoughts on a brine

Options
Sun Devil Brett
Sun Devil Brett Posts: 440
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made a post a while back and it shot way down on the board, so I'm not trying to be redundant. Have never done a brine before. Thought we'd give it a try and were just looking for any info. and thoughts. We've got two chickens. Thanks GO DEVILS :evil:

Comments

• Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    I like to brine. I got my base recipe from Good Eats -

1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
    For the brine:
    1 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1 gallon vegetable stock
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1/2 tablespoon allspice berries
    1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
    1 gallon iced water

Now I deviate from that. I don't like allspice or ginger.

I get 6-7 cans of veggie broth
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    1 cup kosher salt
    1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
    Then I take my 1/4 measurer and fill it with Lawry's, onion powder, garlic powder, and anything else that looks good in the cabinet.

Put that all in a stock pot and boil it together, then cool it down, add the birds to your container, and cover with a bunch of ice. I have a nice big cooler I do this in, so about a quart or 2 of ice will last me through the night.

I like it and it tastes good. I actually did 2 turkey breasts today with that brine and they tasted pretty good.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Here is a direct link to the brine page on my cookin' site.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1999/07/brining_29.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bitslammer
    Options
    Never really tried that many ingredients in a brine. I've never tried to carry in those flavors at that stage.

I will however say that I always add 1-2 cans of frozen orange juice concentrate to my brines. I do this in place of a cup or 2 of sugar. The orange juice does impart a little hint of citrus that works really well with pork, turkey and chicken. I'd suspect that the acidity might play a role too.

I normally do:
    1 cup Kosher salt
    1 can orange juice concentrate
    1 gallon water
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    2 big cans of chicken broth, cup of sugar & cup of salt, real simple, real tasty
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania