Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye vs. Sirloin

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Labor Day, I T-rexed some Ribeyes. Last night, I T-rexed a Sirloin. I cooked the exact same way with the exact same rubs:

Ribeye Cook -

Raw:

Raw.jpg

Rubbed:

RawandRubbed.jpg

Post Sear:

PostSear.jpg

Finished:

Finished.jpg

On Plate:

FinishedonPlate.jpg

Sirloin Cook:

Raw and Rubbed:

RawandRubbed.jpg

Post Sear:

AfterSear.jpg

Finished (don't mind chicken):

FinishedwithChicken.jpg

Sliced:

AfterSear.jpg

Both were very good. The wife likes the Ribeye a lot more than the sirloin. I favor the Sirloin slightly more than the Ribeye.

What do the majority of you eggers prefer?

Comments

• Sorry - screwed up the sliced picture:

Sliced.jpg
  • Im a Ribeye fan. Sirloins seem to be a more miss than hits for me.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Love them both. Usually comes down to cost for me, depending on how good a month I am having. :blink:
    I think sirloin has better flavor, but Ribeye is more tender, and an all around better cut.
  • Can't go wrong with either but I prefer the ribeyes for the flavor. Sirloins are good too but my wife complains that she gets "tired of chewing".

How is the Dizzy for the steaks?
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I think the consensus on the board is for Ribeyes. My wife and I both like Sirloin better. For your cook the grill marks on the Sirloin looked more apetizing.
  • Your rib-eyes look mighty good, lots of internal fat marbling. Fat = flavor + tenderness. Sirloins generally have a lot less internal fat but a more beefy flavor. It's all good! Every cut has its positives and negatives. I like to alternate so I don't get bored.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i love a ribeye but i am not too pickey about steak i love it all

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I like both !! :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I can honestly say none of my eggs have ever seen a sirloin....shameful as that may be.

I normally cook a ribeye or porter for me and a filet for the wife. I do the occasional KC strip, and chuck steaks are gaining popularity here as well.

I may give a sirloin a rip one day, yours looks mighty good.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I'm a ribeye fan, and the wife usually likes a strip or a fillet.
    fc
  • Same here, Ribeye for us. Pics look great.

rockytopsc
    anderson, sc
  • My vote goes to the ribeye--I like the way those turn out on the BGE more than any other cut.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    when we first got the egg i honestly didn't know a ribeye from a sirloin....

if i'm cooking a steak for the wife and me, which is once a week or so, it's almost always a ny strip. now that i pay attention to temps, they aren't ever dry and chewy, which is what many folks don't like about them. turns out i just never knew how to cook them. i like them a bitmore than rib eyes simply because ribeyes can be a bit floppy and sloppy. i agree they have more flavor in one way (from the fat and marbling), but the strip is pretty flavorful too.

if it's a dry aged steak, it's always a rib eye. the fat loses almost all the water, and so i get the fatty flavor without the steak falling apart, or blobs of mushy fat.

on first getting the egg, i was pretty enthusiastically cliche'. "let's get tenderloins (filets)"! since living with the egg and actually discovering differences in steak, we have left them behind. still, tenderloin on the egg is quite good. and i've gone back to them for a specific thing. tailgating. wrapped in bacon (keeps them round and thick), blasted quick over the lump, and then butterflied and served on nice big fresh bulkie rolls. best hamburger ever. they cook quick, you can eat them with one hand, and they are tender enough to eat like a burger.

someone said it already (and in far fewer words), but i like them all, just for different reasons and at different times
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I much prefer a KC strip to a NY strip.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    bone, no bone.

okey doke.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sirloin. The ribeye's used to be my go to steak, but anymore I think they are a bit fatty for my taste.