Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT..Google chrome

Options
icemncmth
icemncmth Posts: 1,165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Google's new browser "Chrome" is pretty cool. I don't know if it will replace my trusty Firefox but we all know how google will throw money at their stuff...

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Yep and collect all you internet browsing data..

Not paranoid they have already said it's built into Chrome. I'll stick with Firefox thanks!!!
  • icemncmth
    Options
    Well I am a computer geek by trade...my system is..

My computer is on a domain and runs through a server to connect to the internet. From there it goes through a hardware firewall and then to my switch..then to another hardware firewall and then to the net..I have looked at my traffic logs and actually there is less chatter from Chrome vs Firefox and IE...

So how did you come up with your findings?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I am more concerned about us folks that have software protection only... Other than a wireless router.

GG
  • Old Salt
    Options
    I downloaded it yesterday and am using it for the egghead forum. IE kept closing off the forum and I had to keep reloading the page. If something goes wrong with Chrome and my system goes haywire I'll have to remove it from my system and reboot my complete PC. Neusance but I've had to do it before.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It would take a small miracle to get me to abandon Firefox at this point.

Reviews I've read are not fond of Chrome. I still use Safari from time to time, but Firefox is the bestest.
  • kerns
    kerns Posts: 22
    Options
    One particular issue *currently* with Chrome is that the Google Chrome EULA claims ugly rights to any content you pass through Chrome.

Lifehacker.com reports that Google is 'working quickly to remove' that language... but as the EULA stood yesterday, Google was claiming via the Chrome EULA some pretty pernicious rights to anything (docs, posts, blogs, pictures, etc) that you transmitted via Chrome.

I'm using IE 8 beta 2, and wanted to try Chrome on my home machines. But I think I'll wait a bit before putting that software on anything I own.

-Kern
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Couple Questions...
    I've always used the standard, Windows browser (guess it's IE).
    What's the advantage to using another (like Fire Fox) and how to make the switch..?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Google themselves.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Firefox is far more secure then I.E and it's highly extendable.

Firefox
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Kern I would wait, for ha ha's I try it the other day for about 4 hours and really did not like it so far. So I uninstalled it for now. Let them get the bugs out first.
  • icemncmth
    Options
    I think that one thing people forget is everything you do is captured by your ISP..Unless you own the ISP you use!

Unless you go to a free hot spot and spoof your mac address your machine and what you are doing is being watched...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I think "being watched" is a bit of strong terminology. More like the info is in a log file and if anyone ever had a reason to trace your activity they could, but no one is actively watching what we all do on the net. And if you are behind a decent firewall or using a proxy, then all bets are off.

To answer Rascal - CW hit it on the head. Firefox is better at blocking popups, better at tabbed browsing, better at allowing you to modify the interface and incorporate add-ons, and more secure. Most malware, spyware, and viruses key on Microsoft security issues.

To upgrade just download it and install. It takes no time at all to get used to it.
  • icemncmth
    Options
    Like I put in the original post...I don't think it will replace my trusty firefox...

Firefox add ons are great. I love foxmarks...