Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catering

Options
Starter
Starter Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi. I'm a beginner. I've owned my egg for 4 years and used it 6 times -- that's bad. Last night a male friend cooked our steaks on it. They were to die for! We need to work and it hit me what an awesome catering business or small steak house, using the BGE!!! as the cooking source??? Has anyone done either of the above and how are things working out? How do you get started on a small level? How can you go wrong w/the Egg!!???
Thanks, Starter

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Are you kidding? You've cooked on your egg 6 times in 4 years and your contemplating a catering business with it? Spend the next year or more cooking regularly on it (everyday) and then you can think about catering gigs, but it doesn't sound to me like you've got the OCD about egging that most of us have. BTW, people do cater with them, but only 1 restaurant that I know of. My 2cents. Mark
  • Starter
    Options
    Yeah, You're right on all of the above. I just knew the things cook excellent food and you read it everywhere!
    I'll take your advice and start having fun in my back yard for starters! By the way, where is that 1 restaurant that you know of? Thanks, Starter ;)
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I believe it's called "Grate Grills" in Gulfport, Miss. and there are probably others. Mark
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Kevin Rathbun Steak in Atlanta also uses XL BGE in the preparation of some of their dishes - but not their steaks.....
  • Starter
    Options
    Thank you Weekend Warrior and Fidel for your responses! Much appreciated! Fidel, your set-up is awsome! Great pics! Thanks, Starter
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    A few things to consider... If you're going to be catering on-sight for parties, you'll need to have a way to transport your (heavy) BGE's and other necessary equipment. Then, there's the issue of a food service permit, and most importantly, liability insurance which could be rather costly if you have little or no experience with food-handling safety. Probably a few more issues, but these are primary.
  • Starter
    Options
    Thanks, Rascal. Do you get liability ins. from a regular insurance agent? Anybody know any other restaurants that use BGE's?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    To my knowledge, aside from the place in Gulfport, the only other one I've heard of is a guy who operates a hot dog stand somewhere in Mass. I know less than nothing about the insurance issues but there are chefs-for-profit here who might help you with that. Best of luck to you!!~~
  • Starter
    Options
    Thanks, appreciate it!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Know what? It ain't rocket science! I'm sure, with some effort and some on-the-job training on your part--some hard work and mistakes along the way, you can make it work. You're sure right about one thing already:
    They produce wonderful food. Good luck!

All the other things are just details.
  • Starter
    Options
    Thanks! I agree, and that's the most important thing -- GOOD, GREAT FOOD!