Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Tip

Options
RayS
RayS Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

In the city I live in there is a real italian pizza place where we usually order from. When they prep. their pizza they use a pizza pan at first, then after a while they remove the pan and continue cooking.
I tried this using the BGE and only left the pan under the pizza for about 4 - 5 minutes then removed the pan and continued cooking on the pizza stone. The pizzas turned out GREAT.[p]RayS

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RayS,[p]Interesting idea. What advantage did having the pan there do for you? Did it stick at all to it - did you use flour or corn meal between the pan and the pie?[p]Tim[p]
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    RayS,
    Just a few quick questions about your setup--Do you use platesetter with stone on top of that with the pizza pan on top of everything? I usually preheat my platesetter and stone and really need to get a pizza peel to transfer the pizzas b/c my current transfer method (upside-down cookie sheet) doesn't work that well. Do you preheat the ceramics and then just place the pizza and pan on cold, or do you heat the pan too and transfer from something else? Thanks.
    --Aron

• RayS
    Options
    Aron,[p]I use a raised grid with a pizza stone on top. I raise the grid with 3 fire brick laying on there edge. Two on one side, one on the other. I also lay two bricks flat in between. I pre heat the BGE for about 30 min at 450 to 500. I place the pizza with the pan right on the pre heated stone for 4 to 5 min., then remove the pan. The pizza slides off the pan easily using a spatchela and oven mitt to hold the pan.[p]I think the key to this method is the PAM on the pizza pan, a well seasoned pizza stone, the mass of brick that holds alot of heat.[p]RayS
  • RayS
    Options
    Tim M,[p]The pan gives you a place to form your dough, build your pizza and a method of getting the pie into the Bge without losing too much heat. I used a light spray of PAM on the pan and dough before I formed it.[p]RayS