Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kiln Posts ... or Ceramic Spacers

Puj
Puj Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All,[p]I've been asked by a few over the course of time about the ceramic spacers that I use for different indirect cooks. I've taken some pictures of these little gems and show them in multiple configurations for all to see.[p]If you so wish to do so, go to the link attached and take a look.[p]Puj
[ul][li]Kiln Post Configurations[/ul]

Comments

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Puj
    Pleas advise the particulars on these posts, as to price, availkability, etc. I see many practical applications that I can use.
    Thanks!
    Hammer

• Puj
    Hammer,[p]The kiln posts of the sizes that I have range from $1 to $3. I suspect most ceramic supply stores will carry them.
    I bought mine at Davens Ceramic Center in good ol' Hotlanta GA. Tell Angel hello if you go there.[p]Puj

[ul][li]Davens[/ul]
  • Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Puj,[p]Tks for the kiln pix. You've got me thinking.[p]The last one for pizza which has the 1/2 inch spacer between the two ceramic pieces:
    - What do you get out of this ?
    - How hot do you cook your pizza ? [p]Doug
    [p]

• Puj, I guess the clothes line connection wire for the ceramic spacers does not melt or do you replace it? I would never guess it could handle 550 degrees.?.?. Also, I have spent all day wondering- what is "PDK"... must be simple, I can not figure it out!

• Puj
    doug,[p]I was just using the Plate Setter and the Pizza Stone to demonstrate the 1/2" gap and the airflow that it allows. I use the Bread Baking configuration depicted for pizza. Didn't mean to cause any confusion.[p]My normal baking temp for pizza is between 630°F and 650°F.[p]Puj

• Puj
    tn slagamater,[p]The clothesline is only used for storage. The line never goes inside the Eggs, whether hot or cold.[p]PDK is the airport indicator for Dekalb Peachtree Airport, where the last 3 Eggtoberfests have been held.[p]Puj

• Puj, I kept "crashing" government helicopters, never could find Peachtree Dekalb Airport til they started cooking on the Eggs there. Thanks!

• Puj,[p]I use something similar - plain 1/2" copper pipe 90 degree fittings. Can't remember who first posted the idea - seems to work great. Probably not quite as stable as the ceramic pieces, but may be easier to find for some folks.[p]I usually put these under my drip pan, instead of putting the pan direct on the plate setter. Seems to keep the drip pan from getting so hot, and burning the drippings. I was doing a turkey, and the drippings all burned at the bottom of the pan - I wanted to keep them from burning so I could save them for gravy.[p]Cheers -[p]Mike[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Puj,
    Thank you for reminding me about the kiln spacers. Now I just have to find out where I put them.
    Nice Pictures,
    R&J[p]

• Puj
    RhumAndJerk,[p]So, have you found them?[p]Also wanted to remember to give you a big thumbs up on the Great Pumpkin, and thanks for bringing some stuffing over to me to eat.[p]Goulash with the paprika soon,
    Puj