Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stacking butts

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't stacked butts before. I have got 3 on bottom and one on top of those on my large egg. Other than maybe taking a little longer, will they turn out ok? Those that have stacked them before give me your input. Thanks

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I thought CW stacked his, but I was wrong...they're on an adjustable rig. LINK

Other stack them with no ill effects, though they might take a bit longer.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Direct stacking or touching side by side, the bark most likely will not form properly. When the cook is over I have found the rub is still there and not very well cooked. That has not been a problem, just scraped off or mixed in the rub.

The time to cook will probably take longer, in affect you will be cooking a larger piece of meat.

GG
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    I do not have the adjustable rig (yet). After seeing Celtic Wolf's post on getting six butts in a large I will be ordering one soon.

That said, I have done five with only a little arranging. First few times were with two grills separated by carriage bolts, washers and nuts. There will be pictures in archives or maybe the nakedwhiz site. I have also just put three butts on the standard GE large grill, and then the other two on a smaller grill just resting on top of the three. I guess if you had to access the fire from above this would be a bit awkward but once the lid is shut I leave it that way until the meat probe gets through 195

Doing four would allow you to go 2 over 2 and have all the space in between you could possibly want. There can still be slightly different cook times but pork is so forgiving that going to 200-205 while the slower ones get to 195 is no big deal..IMHO

Good luck
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yes you can do that... make sure to have a drip pan to catch all that grease.. also i hope you have a power draft system.. i am sure you can do it without but i think it should be pretty tough

04-05-2008002.jpg

04-05-2008006.jpg

as you can see in this picture the extra grid was for ease of removal
    DSCN0084.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb