Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Cheesecake

Options
Central IL Egger
Central IL Egger Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to attempt a cheesecake this weekend and am looking for some help.
There've been several posts for BGE cheesecake recipes, and I found the Peach Cheesecake recipe, but from the sounds of the texture it is more of a custard base. Does anyobody have a recipe that would be more of a traditional "firm" cheesecake, or am I asking for something that's not feasible to cook on the BGE?
Thank you!

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Yes, a NY Cheesecake that is very firm if not stiff, 5 packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese, 1.5 cups sugar, 5 whole eggs & 2 extra yolks, zest of one lemon and one lime, 3 tablespoons of flour. Put this in a springform pan, 500 degrees for 12 minutes, then kick it down to 250 for about an hour and a half to two more hours (check intermittently). Graham Cracker crust, one package of crushed graham crackers & a stick of melted butter, press into the form, pour in the batter... I have made this cake numerous times and it always goes to rave reviews.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Central IL Egger
    Options
    That's awesome, thanks and I'll post some pics of the finished product!
    Thank you!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Thanks, Mr. Lip. I put that one in my cookbook too.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Sorry folks, I did the first post at my office from memory, when I got home I took a look at the recipe & realized I missed a teaspoon of vanilla, & the sugar measurement is 1.75 cups. I would also add that it is best to bring the cream cheese to room temp first, it makes a smoother batter, & really beat these things together until smooth. I start out with the paddle attachment on the kitchen aid to get it all incorporated, then I put the wisk attachment on & beat on hight for a few minutes until you see absolutely no color variation, it should be a beautiful homogenous yellow color - good luck
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,928
    Options
    So Mark, you're impressing the inlaws with your egg-mastery by doing something they never dreamed of doing outside, huh? hehehe