Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage Recipe

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, so I bought a grinder and some casings to make sausage tomorrow. Now, does anyone have an italian sausage recipe or any hints to make life easier when doing sausage stuffing?

Thanks,
Frank
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Well for what it is worth I use www.sausagesource.com for seasoning and casing needs. They have it all from making bologna, summer sausage and all other types.
    For now let your natural casings soak in water until you need them. If it is for a couple weeks make it a salt water solution. When you get ready to put the casing on the tube especially natural open up an end and dunk it underwater. This gets a bubble of water traviling down the casing as you place it on the tube. The rest is start feeding the sausage and have fun.
    E
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I'm sure AZRP will chime in. He does a great job.

Mike
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    How long do I soak the casings for? Is 24hrs ok or should I go more like 72hrs? Do you regrigerate them while they soak?
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Yes keep refrigerated if they are the natural casings. The longer tthe soak the easier they are to work with. We would get a hank of casing which is enough to do about 100 lbs of sasuage and have it for a week in salt water before we would use it. It just allowed for easier production.
    If all you are doing is 10 lhs or less a couple of days would be fine.
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    yah, prob about 10-15lbs..
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    One last question emilluca, i have a small bag of casings, about 8oz's. How much sausage will that make?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    At this point I buy pre blended spices for my italian sausage...and I buy the salt packed natural hog casings....and following the directions on the casings I rinse them and then soak for around 45 minutes, rinse the insides and then stuff...if I had to soak them for days or weeks I think I would just buy store bought sausage..but nothing beats the flavor of fresh ground...you may get some tips on my website from my limited sausage making...we have done as little as 15# and as much as 40#.....I need to update the web page as we now have a commercial grinder that grinds way more meat at one time....one day soon I hope to come up with my own seasoning blend...the breakfast links are a royal pain as they are so small...share your experiences with us when you have tried it...
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    WessB, your site will be very helpful...Do you think you need to season overnight or will the ginding get it done in a similar fashion?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I dice the meat in roughly 1 inch cubes, add the seasoning to the meat then let the seasoning soak/marinade for around 24 hours in the fridge,the longer the better...then grind and stuff...it is really not a difficult thing to do...keeping the meat cold is a priority..let the fresh stuffed casings rest in the fridge for a couple of hours before you freeze...
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    Has anyone made Venison Sausage? I just got a nice 6lb roast today and was going to turn half into sausage...any thoughts?